Hypos

briony1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I’ve been running a bit high recently for various reasons (mainly stress and Christmas). And have been feeling hypo symptoms a bit higher than usual - sometimes at 4.9/5? Is this normal? Also my hypos seem to make me feel worse than usual

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
Hi @Briony, as a TID (not as medical advice or opinion), I know that if I give a larger than usual correction doses of short-acting insulin and my BSL starts to drop more rapidly than usual from say 12mmol/l, I will often experience hypo symptoms around the 6 mmol/l mark.
At other times a hypo can sneak up on me when I am running at say 5 mmol/l and the fall in BS is gradual over say, 4 hours plus hours, and then the hypo symptoms 'kick in' about the 3.5 mmol/l mark.
To cope with stress I find it easier to up my long-acting or basal insulin and then correct with short-acting insulin more gently. Of course once the 'silly season' is over, the basal /long-acting insulin has to be scaled back. Plus trying to catch up on sleep helps me !! Just my way of coping. Please see what your DSN has to say before trying anything out !!
Best wishes for a better 'silly season' !!

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes, normal. Google 'false hypo' if you want a lot of information.