Hypos

aimeepepper

Hi l was diagnosed type 2 during lock down. Within a year l had reversed my diabetes and now still have a hb1 of 5.3. I have been told to keep taking my metformine 500g once a day. My problem is l am having regular hypos daily of 3.8. I'm wondering if its the metformine and that l don't need it anymore but my diabetic nurse says to keep taking it. I have lost 4 stone in weight so everything is well managed apart from these hypos.

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
As I do not have Type 2, I cannot comment on your metformin.
However, my understanding is that unless you are taking blood sugar reducing medication such as insulin or glycazide, a hypo is anything under 3.5 mmol/l.
Given the accuracy of our meters, 3.8 could be higher than 4. So this should not be a concern

And well done with the weight loss.

• Agree
Reactions: Antje77 and EllieM

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Do you feel ok when you test 3.8? I’m aT2 on Metformin only and I do 20g carb a day. I often see a below 4 especially just before my main meal. If you are feeling fine at that number then I wouldn’t worry about it as your body will take care of it and your liver will dump a bit of glucose to bring you back up. If you do feel a bit iffy take a small amount of carb 2-3g and that should sort it.

Agree with @In Response about meter accuracy, great weight loss :)