Hypos

briony1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
What’s the difference between hypos? Why do some hypos (especially in the night) do I wake up feeling shaky and hungry whereas other times I wake up feeling anxious and extremely nauseous?

Tony337

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being on holiday....
Hi
If i have been low for a while, say 2 hours, and then wake up i'm as rough as toast however if i'm going low then wake up i'm tired but reasonably ok.

That feeling of dread when you've eaten enough carbs to sustain 3 non diabetics then realise you've over done the insulin and have to eat some more knocks me sick!!

The alarms on my libre are a massive help at night times as having been a type 1 for 50 years i still marvel at the alarm function.

I wish you well

Tony

CheeseSeaker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People arguing over silly stuff
My thoughts based on little or no confirmation (but 50+ years of them hitting me)

Hypo is partly where the brain is starved of glucose (only nutrient it uses from the red blood cells) and brain function is impaired

Depending on which part of the brain is affected first can alter the hypo symptoms - generally these follow the same patterns, but I have had extremes where I felt fine, no confusion, talking to others but stood up and 'failed to be able to walk' etc.

Generally I start to get confused, can sweat, shake run out of energy etc etc - but it just depends on the day sometimes

Happy for others to tell me this is tripe - just my way of thinking about whats been happening.

As @Tony337 says - Libre alarms were life changing, had those vibrating my watch for 5+ years and its saved me loads of times

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I think the "hypo feeling" varies according to how you get there - a sudden drop feels far worse than a gentle descent - and how long you stay there - at night, even with a CGM, it may take longer to wake and spot the hypo than during the day when you are fully awake.

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
after living with type 1 for 51 years i can honestly say that for me my hypos have evolved.....early years was a line of sweat on forehead , feeling shaky and somewhat irritable.
these days i don't get those symptoms so much but i definitely get blurred eyes and a feeling of panic or anxiety
i also totally agree with @In Response that how you arrive at the hypo contributes greatly.....being on a pump now and with libre 2 i can see some hypos coming before they get there and can correct with just a few carbs ( between 3 to 5 ) and no symptoms, but with either sudden drop or night time hypos i still feel the need to overtreat as my brain is in fight or flight mode..........

sninge

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Oh and lets not forget ' alcohol induced hypos ' they are by far the worst for me!! I changed to lyumjev a few months ago and thats made them even worse to the point I barely drink now, I look at that as a good thing though, now I need an insulin to put me off eating so much!!