Hypurin porcine availability

tigger

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
registrars asking silly questions
For the first time ever I'm having trouble ordering this. The chemist could only get me 1 vial of 4 although 5hey could manage 2 libres. Anyone know what the issue is? It's my usual chemist.

JMK1954

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It has taken my Boots pharmacy a full week to get my Porcine Neutral this time. Normlly it's 24 hrs to 2 days. I will ask about it when I pick it up later today.

mike@work

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I could try to at least help you, in checking the situation in my part of the world, if this is a common problem right now or if it is a local problem in the UK...
I'll try to remember, to stick my nose in, at my local pharmacy this evening. Any notice in advance, about possible general problems getting Hypurin, I have not received in any case...

Grant_Vicat

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Intolerance, selfishness, rice pudding
For the first time ever I'm having trouble ordering this. The chemist could only get me 1 vial of 4 although 5hey could manage 2 libres. Anyone know what the issue is? It's my usual chemist.
Hi @tigger I completely empathise with you. Here is part of a letter I wrote to a surgery in 2013:
On Wednesday 17th October I used the computerised system to order five items which included Aviva testing strips. I called in on Saturday morning, 20th October to be told that only one out of three packets of Aviva strips was available and I was given a form with the assurance that the remainder would be available on Monday 22nd October. Because of work commitments I wasn't able to reach the Surgery on time and I therefore called in the next day. I was informed that all four available packs had been handed out to desperate diabetics the day before. I commented that this was fair enough, but what was going to be done about owed items? The pharmacist told me that half a dozen packs would come in on Wednesday, i.e. today and that the problem was caused by the fact that the “quota” had been reached. The pharmacist agreed to reserve me one pack. To be fair to her, there were two packs available when I collected them.
My concern is this: On the admission of the pharmacist, even Insulin is subject to a “quota” which is issued by one of two suppliers. The obvious inference is that accountancy is affecting patient care. I am at least able (thank God) to argue my case. What effect this abysmal service is having on hypertensive patients or anybody else on vital drugs can only be guessed. I'm sure it is increasing medical costs unnecessarily.There doesn't appear to be any individual listed in charge of the pharmacy ”service”. Hence I have written to you. Is it worth contacting the pharmacy at all? – I have assured them at the counter that this is not in any way a personal attack on any of them, but certainly on a system more akin to America.

Bearing in mind this was over six years ago, it doesn't surprise me that you have been subjected to this and that @JMK1954 has not been given any explanation. I hope that you and other patients are given better attention sooner rather than later. Good luck.

tigger

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
registrars asking silly questions
Good news! I got a call 2 days later that the rest were coming. The pharmacist said there was a problem with one wholesaler being out of stock so they had to go to another. I still don't know but more importantly I have my full prescription! Thanks for the support

Reactions: Grant_Vicat

JMK1954

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
If there is ever a problem with supplies of porcine insulin, anyone who uses it will want to know, including me. By posting on here, we can all try to keep each other informed about what is going on. In my opinion that is in all our interests. Thank you for posting, tigger.