I’ve joined the Libre club!

ChrissiStar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
When I found out my local Asda pharmacy stocked sensors I decided to self-fund a Libre to hopefully cut down on my obsessive blood testing. Popped it in on Wednesday night, activated it Thursday night and haven’t looked back. What an amazing piece of kit! I am finding it pretty accurate so far when checking it against finger sticks, so pretty chuffed. My fingers are currently breathing a HUGE sigh of relief!

Scott-C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi, @ChrissiStar , welcome to the libre club!

Sugar Surfing by Stephen Ponder and Beyond Fingersticks by William Lee Dubois, both on kindle, have a lot of good tips on how to use cgm well, they helped me a lot when I first got libre.

I recall from an earlier post you're in Scotland?

The rules on libre prescription are a lot looser than those in England, so there's a fair chance you might be able to get it free on script.

Each area here does have slightly different policies, unlike England where there is a national policy, but, for example, where I am in NHS Lothian, they'll pretty much give it to any T1 who wants it, so it would be worthwhile asking your DSN.

There's also a small transmitter you can buy for £139, MiaoMiao 2, which reads the sensor every 5 mins and sends the results to your phone and watch. This version has only come out in the last days so I don't think anyone here has experience of it, but plenty of folks have used the first version and found it to be reliable.

https://miaomiao.cool/

Last edited:
Reactions: ChrissiStar

ChrissiStar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, @ChrissiStar , welcome to the libre club!

Sugar Surfing by Stephen Ponder and Beyond Fingersticks by William Lee Dubois, both on kindle, have a lot of good tips on how to use cgm well, they helped me a lot when I first got libre.

I recall from an earlier post you're in Scotland?

The rules on libre prescription are a lot looser than those in England, so there's a fair chance you might be able to get it free on script.

Each area here does have slightly different policies, unlike England where there is a national policy, but, for example, where I am in NHS Lothian, they'll pretty much give it to any T1 who wants it, so it would be worthwhile asking your DSN.

There's also a small transmitter you can buy for £139, MiaoMiao 2, which reads the sensor every 5 mins and sends the results to your phone and watch. This version has only come out in the last days so I don't think anyone here has experience of it, but plenty of folks have used the first version and found it to be reliable.

https://miaomiao.cool/

Yes, I am in Scotland (also in Lothian funnily enough!) pretty sure I will get the ok to get it on prescription at my next appointment at the clinic, but I am not the most patient woman and my fingers were starting to get a bit grumpy with me, so decided to self-fund until I can get it on prescription. Worked it out that it’s about £3 a day, I was easily spending that in Starbucks, so have cut out that habit and am now spending it on something that will actually do me good.

I’ve been looking into the MiaoMiao as well, so will have a look at the 2, and apologise to my bank account before clicking that link. ;)

I’ll also have a look into Sugar Surfing & Beyond Fingersticks too - thanks!