I’ve quit!!

Charlotte73

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
DIABETES, I should be kicking it’s **** but it’s got a hold on me and can’t get out.
Many thanks to all the people who have answered my questions in the past, really appreciated your support.
I have now stopped all treatments as I can’t get anyone to take me seriously so for my sanity I quit. Treated everything and nothing worked, I will just have to live with my 27+ daily levels. Nothing less than 17 in 6 months but no one helps me. I can’t scream andshout at them anymore to help. Thank you and take care.

• Hug
Reactions: Rachox and filly

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Charlotte73 , I'm so sorry you feel you aren't getting anywhere with your diabetes, but one thing I will say is that by stopping your medication, you are essentially self-harming. Nobody else will be harmed by it, although I imagine there will be impacts on those who love and care about you.

It might seem easy to say, I'll take what life brings me, but the harsh reality is untreated diabetes doesn't bring you anything nice.
I would urge you to at least restart your medications, and to reach out to your GP/nurse, and/or your local mental health team, because it sounds like you could do with a bit of support on the mental as well as physical side of things.

I'm sorry to sound so harsh and to be so blunt in my messaging, but sometimes it's the only helpful way.

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Many thanks to all the people who have answered my questions in the past, really appreciated your support.
I have now stopped all treatments as I can’t get anyone to take me seriously so for my sanity I quit. Treated everything and nothing worked, I will just have to live with my 27+ daily levels. Nothing less than 17 in 6 months but no one helps me. I can’t scream andshout at them anymore to help. Thank you and take care.
You mentioned in another thread that you stopped medication in January. So, have your levels increased or stayed the same?
You also mention that you are mother of four. What you are doing will impact on them. So, please follow the advice from AndBreathe. Seek help for your emotional / mental health, soon.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,

Speaking as someone using insulin for nearly five decades. I’ve had the odd time when I felt like enough’s enough.
But then the reality kicks in regarding the mess I make in my wake.

I’m guessing your insulin Humalog & the amount you need to dose comes in a U100 strength?
There is by the looks of it a U200 potency. https://www.humalog.com/u200
Which could “technically” halve your current dose to titrate a workable up from there, until it works..

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I am so sorry you are having such a horrible time. Not being heard is, perhaps, even worse than not being helped. No wonder you feel desperate.

Assuming you are in the UK, did you know that under the NHS you have the right to be referred once, free of charge, to any consultant you choose, anywhere in the UK? I got myself referred, by my GP, to "name edited out by mod team to comply with forum rules on naming HCPs". After a wait I had a telephone consult with him. I guess I could have had a session with him in person, but it would have been a long, awkward journey and I couldn't face it. Luckily I am pretty at ease on the telephone.

I could have gone on, after that free consultation, to see him privately in a London clinic, but we were not a good match, and the clinic would have cost a lot.

Good luck!

(mod edit to remove HCP name)

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Informative
Reactions: Outlier