I always wondered why I find ice cream so "moreish"

Tannith

BANNED
Ice Cream May Target The Brain Before Your Hips, Study Suggests
https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2009/09/090914110533.htm

"What we've shown in this study is that someone's entire brain chemistry can change in a very short period of time. Our findings suggest that when you eat something high in fat, your brain gets 'hit' with the fatty acids, and you become resistant to insulin and leptin," Dr. Clegg said. "Since you're not being told by the brain to stop eating, you overeat."

M

Member496333

Sounds to me more like the effects of sugar, specifically fructose? Fat is supposed to have the opposite effect, especially when consumed with protein. Sugar and fat together are the perfect storm because of the leptin resistance and excess energy combined. Not that I’m a scientist but this reads to me very much like another attack on saturated fat :shifty:

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I notice that the study also uses eating another burger whilst watching a game as an example. Since there's more carbs than fat in the burger, it's more likely to be the carbs that are moreish , not the fats.

Edit: it seems to me it would be more scientific to compare a high carb food i.e. potatoes or bread with a high fat food i.e.cheese or cream.

The experiment was only on fats. Why not carbs too?

I am left with a question. Do I believe the 'science' or do I believe what I know to be true for my own body? The answer is obvious to me. Stick with low carb high fat as I only get hungry once a day on that. With low fat high carb I was constantly snacking as I was never satiated. That blows the so called science quoted in the OP out of the window as far as this anecdotal n=1 experiment is concerned.

Last edited: