I am actually an idiot - urgent help needed!

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Yes, I keep them both in the same bag because I used to have to use them both at work when I was on split basal. My basal alarm went off and I picked up the pen, primed it, dialled the 9 units, injected it but it felt weird - and then to my horror I saw it was the blue JuniorStar pen instead of the red Novopen. Luckily, they feel very different when injecting - the JuniorStar sort of clicks while the Novopen is a smooth action with one click at the end - that's what made me notice - it just felt wrong because I've never injected that large a dose with the JuniorStar before.

Smidge

Now your back on one basal dose keep the pens separate, its so easy to mix the two up when they are in the same bag.

And btw your not an idiot, I expect most of us have done this at some point, I once injected my basal dose twice and had to go work an hour later on nights, that was sheer panic I can tell you.

Reactions: 4 people

smidge

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Well, the carb is keeping up with the Apidra at the moment - I've had a steady 7.5 for about an hour and it's just bipped up to 8.5 so expect the toast is kicking in.

Smidge

Reactions: 6 people

robert72

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Smidge - in all the excitement, did you remember to take the Tresiba?

Reactions: 5 people

smidge

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Smidge - in all the excitement, did you remember to take the Tresiba?

Yes, strangely enough I did that while I was considering what I needed to do about the overdose of Apidra - afterwards I wondered if I should have taken the Tresiba, but I figured once the Apidra has worn off I'll still need the Tresiba!

Smidge

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
And btw your not an idiot, I expect most of us have done this at some point, I once injected my basal dose twice and had to go work an hour later on nights, that was sheer panic I can tell you.
I've done it, at least twice in 20 years, so if you're an idiot I'm a double idiot, @smidge. :)

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Well, the carb is keeping up with the Apidra at the moment - I've had a steady 7.5 for about an hour and it's just bipped up to 8.5 so expect the toast is kicking in.

Smidge
As you're not used to these doses it's possible the action of the Apidra will last a little longer than usual. The other slight risk in this situation is that because you only used low doses, there might be some inaccuracy in your insulin:carb ratio that will only show up at these large doses. And, you felt adrenalin, which might have been fear, but it's also possible it was a hypo. Probably not, as you were testing frequently, but it's a possibility. Given these multiple minor risks I think it would be prudent to take some slow acting carb overnight, once you think the action of the Apidra is finished, before you go to bed. And don't worry too much about having an immaculate morning blood sugar reading. This is a once in a blue moon occurrence, maybe a once in a lifetime occurrence, and you can afford to cut yourself some slack for it. You're going to be completely fine. xxx

smidge

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
As you're not used to these doses it's possible the action of the Apidra will last a little longer than usual. The other slight risk in this situation is that because you only used low doses, there might be some inaccuracy in your insulin:carb ratio that will only show up at these large doses. And, you felt adrenalin, which might have been fear, but it's also possible it was a hypo. Probably not, as you were testing frequently, but it's a possibility. Given these multiple minor risks I think it would be prudent to take some slow acting carb overnight, once you think the action of the Apidra is finished, before you go to bed. And don't worry too much about having an immaculate morning blood sugar reading. This is a once in a blue moon occurrence, maybe a once in a lifetime occurrence, and you can afford to cut yourself some slack for it. You're going to be completely fine. xxx

Thanks Spiker. I did wonder if the Apidra would last longer at higher doses - it's usually gone within 3 hours max but Sanoffi do claim it has a 5 hour duration. I think my body wonders what's hit it with all the carb, but you're right and I'll maybe have some granola before I sleep - it'd be a shame not to eat it now I've found it in the cupboard LOL. I'm sure my BG will be all over the place for the next few days - you can't really expect to go from 5years low-carb to this evening's carb-fest without some impact on your baseline.

Smidge

smidge

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
So, the numbers so far this evening have been:

10.04 - 8.3. Luckily I was a little higher than usual 2 and a half hours after tea. It was at this point I accidentally took the 9units Apidra.
10.29 - 7.4. This was after 55g carb.
10.46 - 7.7. A couple of biscuits so an additional 8g carb.
11.00 - 8.7.
11.24 - 10.5. Obviously didn't need the biscuits!
11.45 - 9.8.
12.02 - 8.3. 2 hours after taking the Apidra and starting to fall but might still have quite a bit of Apidra left.

So, not too bad so far!

Smidge

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I think to be conservative you should assume a 5 hr action for tonight. Compared to your normal low doses, tonight's 9u dose is much more in the range Sanofi would be expecting when they quote a 5 hr action time. You could set your alarm clock (maybe set more than one!), or you could stay up. If it was me I might stay up another 1 or max 2 hours and if the BG was flat I would go to bed. But go with how you feel.

Reactions: 2 people

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
How are things now?

What time did you get to sleep? And remember, sleep deprivation always mucks EVERYTHING up...

smidge

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
So, I'm alive and well! Finally went to sleep about 2.30am as I couldn't stay awake any longer. BG was at 7.4 and seemed pretty stable so I had a small bowl of granola and woke at 6.30am and tested at 6.8. I then went back to sleep and woke at 8am down to 4.4 bizarrely. I have a headache but that is probably due to the 'excitement' of it all - or just sleep deprivation! Luckily I'm not in work today - wouldn't have fancied explaining any of this to them as a reason why I'm not really 'with it'!

Thanks so much for all the advice and reassurance last night everybody!

Smidge

Reactions: 16 people

AndyS

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
We've all done it or will do it at some point.

Glad you are alright.

Heathenlass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I missed all this until it was over, but I'm so glad you are ok ! It's a scary thing to do, especially when you are normally used to tiny doses :eek:

How DID that granola creep into the cupboard ? :D

Signy

LucySW

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I missed this too Smidge as we spent the whole time laid over at Frankfurt airport after the storms waiting to get to our holiday.

But phew - how horrid and nerve-wracking. Well done for getting thro it, and thank goodness everything was all right. Good on you, and thank goodness for our community who were there when you needed the backup. As someone who asked for the same backup last Saturday, I can say it sure is wonderful.

Phew !!!

Lucy

LucySW

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Are you getting thro the rebound/up-down aftershocks?

Riri

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
The conservative party, people who are cruel to animals and aggressive people
Sorry I missed this too. Glad everything went ok Smidge - phew sounds like a tough evening.

smidge

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Are you getting thro the rebound/up-down aftershocks?

Yes, it's all a bit weird - I've had a thumping headache yesterday and today which might or might not be connected. My BG tended towards dropping low yesterday morning surprisingly, so I cut back on my Apidra with each meal as I just needed a rest from hypo worries. From about lunch time onwards my BG sat stubbornly at 10 and wouldn't budge - so I left it there last night and woke this morning wit it still on 10 - jabbed down now!

Smidge

smidge

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I missed this too Smidge as we spent the whole time laid over at Frankfurt airport after the storms waiting to get to our holiday.

But phew - how horrid and nerve-wracking. Well done for getting thro it, and thank goodness everything was all right. Good on you, and thank goodness for our community who were there when you needed the backup. As someone who asked for the same backup last Saturday, I can say it sure is wonderful.

Phew !!!

Lucy

It was horrid - the sheer horror when I realised I had the wrong pen in my hand and there was nothing I could do to get the insulin back out! What scares me most though is that it was 10pm and if I hadn't realised I would have gone to bed without knowing I'd overdosed - that keeps coming into my mind. I was very careful to get the right pen last night!

Smidge

LucySW

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes. It just is horrifying isn't it. But you wouldn't not have checked. I th we hyper-tryers take so many steps to get it right that we wouldn't miss it when we have screwed up.