I am designing new diabetic devices! Please reply, thank you

oojimmyfllip

if it has a battery that charges by solar power that would be cool to, Im fed up batteries failing right when I need them.
no coded chip for blood test strips would be good to.
problem is there are plenty of blood glucose meters about and some of them cheap to.

I dont suppose you could make a blood clotting international ratio testing machine which will retail for less than a Hundred pounds GBP.
roche currently have the patent on this and charge £400 a customer disgusting. and the test strips are £90.00 for five.

its a good job glucose meters arn't that expensive.

MICKYMOO

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi Andrew,

I have only just signed on to this forum and read your request. The date for most of your responses was back in February of this year so I was wondering how you are getting on with your project.

I am interested because there are continuous blood glucose monitors out there (Abbott produce one) and I will need to use one for a trial period of 2 days to a week to help sort out a few control issues. The only way currently to monitor like that is having a probe sit just under the surface of your skin like an insulin pump user. This obviously has it's draw backs.

Anyhow, my main issue is the cost. There are only a few monitors at my local diabetes unit and they are in high demand. I looked into buying one and as they are not NHS funded or subsidised they cost roughly £900!!! I nearly died when the rep from Abbott told me the cost! No wonder they don't advertise the price on their website!

Their product is called a freestyle navigator. You may find it useful to check out their details.

Skimming through other replies to your post, there does seems to be a demand for something that is unobtrusive, stylish and has the minimum fuss to get the results needed. With your target age range something that resembles an ipod etc is the way things are going. What about something that you can attach to your MP3/ipod/phone etc via a USB cable/port? That way the results can be an integral part of everyone's media devices. Plus the fact that even 3 year olds have mobiles etc these days won't exclude adaptation for younger age groups!

If you came up with something that did that I bet apple would be all over it like a hot rash to get apps created for it. There are postings on this forum about diabetes management/blood sugra log software for ipods/iphones etc. It's just the next step!

Hope that's been helpful even though probably way too late!

Micky :D