I am still losing weight on insulin

Serkay

Type of diabetes
LADA
I just started insulin just over a month ago. I am on 25 units of Toujeo once a day.

Before I lost 25lbs (11kg, 1.7 stones) in just 6 weeks. My ketones were 2.58 mmol

Now that I've been on the insulin I have lost another 10lbs.

I am on a lower carb diet between 70-100 grams a day (I was about 150 carbs before DX).

My question is had anyone else lost weight after starting insulin?

Robbieswan

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Good for you. I think the fact you are losing weight on insulin is inspiring to us all.

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
It might be the diet rather than the insulin affecting weight. With low carb you may need more protein/ fat to maintain.
Did you want to lose more or are you trying to maintain/gain?

Serkay

Type of diabetes
LADA
It might be the diet rather than the insulin affecting weight. With low carb you may need more protein/ fat to maintain.
Did you want to lose more or are you trying to maintain/gain?
Am not 'trying' to lose weight, although I should . I was just curious if others had since a few of my friends warned me I would gain a lot of weight on insulin and advised me not to take it.

Needless to say I followed my Docs advice instead.

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I just started insulin just over a month ago. I am on 25 units of Toujeo once a day.

Before I lost 25lbs (11kg, 1.7 stones) in just 6 weeks. My ketones were 2.58 mmol

Now that I've been on the insulin I have lost another 10lbs.

I am on a lower carb diet between 70-100 grams a day (I was about 150 carbs before DX).

My question is had anyone else lost weight after starting insulin?

What do your blood sugars look like? High blood sugar causes weight loss, so if the basal isn't controlling your blood sugar you may need a bolus insulin too.

If you've changed your diet at the same time as starting insulin and your blood sugars are under control then the weight loss is related to the diet change. It's perfectly possible to loose weight via diet while on insulin.

Serkay

Type of diabetes
LADA
What do your blood sugars look like? High blood sugar causes weight loss, so if the basal isn't controlling your blood sugar you may need a bolus insulin too.

If you've changed your diet at the same time as starting insulin and your blood sugars are under control then the weight loss is related to the diet change. It's perfectly possible to loose weight via diet while on insulin.

Ah ok,

my numbers are good I am at 4.7 - 5.3 mmol fasting and about 5.8 mmol give or take two hours after eating.