I do not understand

fredericmarcel

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Yesterday, I ate 7.35 g carbs at dinner to try I have a low FBG.
This morning, my FBG was 4.5
smile.png

For breakfast, I consumed5.68 g of carbs.
My post-prandial after 1 hour was 5.83;
After 2 hours, it was 5.77.
Why did it not go down more after 2 hours?
What can I do to be under 100 at all time as Dr Bernstein recommends?
I am not impatient; I am very motivated to have a plan I can stick to

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Acceptance of health treatment claims that are not adequately supported by evidence. I dislike it when people sell ineffective and even harmful alternative health products to exploit the desperation of people with chronic illness.
smile.png

Well done, that's a great fasting BG.

To answer your question, I would like to know what you ate? If there was some fat content it may have taken longer for your body to process the carbs.

Your spike was still under 1.5 points, so that is actually pretty good. My aim is to be under 7.8 at all times.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
It is highly unlikely we will be under 100 (5.5) at all times. That is a very restrictive target. A more realistic target is
under 6 fasting, somewhere in the 4's or 5's before other meals, and the rise between before a meal and 2 hours after no more than 1.5, and never above 7.8.

The peak after a meal will vary according to what you ate, and what you do between eating and testing. The timing of the peak will also vary between person to person, meal to meal, and depending what combination of foods you eat. I find most of my peaks are at 90 minutes, so at an hour I am on the way up, and by 2 hours I'm on the way down.

Reactions: 3 people

catinahat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Reality tv
smile.png

Your numbers are brilliant, well done. Looks like your plan is working. Try not to focus too much on individual results because the meters are only accurate to +/- 20% so your 5•7 after 2hr could have been anything from 4•5 to 6•6
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/blood-glucose-meters/blood-glucose-meter-accuracy.html

Reactions: 2 people

fredericmarcel

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you for you replies.
My BG before lunch (4 hours after breakfast) was .5.5.
My mood seems inversely correlated to my BG : if my BG goes up, my mood goes down.If my BG goes down, I feel happy.
My hope is that my peripherical neuropathy will improve.

mikej1973

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
This mo
It is highly unlikely we will be under 100 (5.5) at all times. That is a very restrictive target. A more realistic target is
under 6 fasting, somewhere in the 4's or 5's before other meals, and the rise between before a meal and 2 hours after no more than 1.5, and never above 7.8..

I agree with most of this. There's a study that suggests maybe a spike of 2 is not good, without any hard facts to back up the hypothesis but where does 1.5 come from?

Studies by others point out that many non diabetics spend considerable time each day over 7.8

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I agree with most of this. There's a study that suggests maybe a spike of 2 is not good, without any hard facts to back up the hypothesis but where does 1.5 come from?

Studies by others point out that many non diabetics spend considerable time each day over 7.8

Thank you for agreeing with most of it!

The 1.5 doesn't come from anywhere as far as I know, but the flatter the spike the better, in my opinion. It is merely a target I aim for after my evening meal. I aim for under 1 after lunch and under 0.5 after breakfast. These are just my personal targets, not always attained.

I know about some studies showing many non-diabetics spend time above 7.8 after eating a lot of carbs. My husband is one of them. However, it is quite probable these non-diabetics are heading towards becoming diabetics in the future, and already have some sort of pancreatic damage or insulin resistance. Who knows? There aren't very many studies/research on non-diabetics, probably because the big pharma companies won't fork out the money for them.

Reactions: 4 people

mikej1973

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
That I agree with all of! I've just seen the 1.5 target around before and wondered if it was personal goal or taken from a study of some sort. You certainly do no harm by keeping your bs straight and level!

Reactions: 6 people

mekalu2k4

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
My hope is that my peripherical neuropathy will improve.
Re peri neuro: if you take vitamin B, it will improve a lot. get raw green mung beans, make sprouts. Add them to any salad and try. if you cannot eat raw sprouts, you may cook them for 2 or 3 min over mild flame before adding them to salad. Read about sprouts/ health benefits first.