I don't get it?

sparkle73

I was diagnosed with gestational diabetes when i was around 6 months pregnant and my diabetic nurse at the time seem to think that i proberely had type 2 aswell, well before i became pregnant, cause i had all the symptons of it for eight years, sugar crashing and all that, swinging from highs to lows. Also my dad and now my mother has developed type 2, so does run in family although i honestly believe it's lifestyle and a metabolism thing mainly rather than genetics. Anyway, basically as most of you are probably aware now by my story in the aspartame topic, i had to go on insulin when i was pregnant. They kept saying even with the insulin that my blood sugar was very deranged! it was mainy high than anything else and it was breakfast/mornings that always seem to be my worst times, feeling sluggish etc, felt like that for quite some years and always seem to struggle with carbohydrates. anyway, i'll get to the point now :roll:

what i don't understand, although i havent actually been diagnosed with type two i had a fasting GTT a few weeks ago (which they do with all diabetic mums after the birth) gestational diabetes goes away after giving birth. i was fine after the birth, stopped the insulin. i went for mt GTT and i am a borderline diabetic, so it wasnt too bad. anyway, although i cut out chocolate altogether when pregnant, i can eat that now and my blood sugar is fine. Carbohydrates is a different thing altogether (on some days! not always) as i'm sure most of you are aware. But today and some other days i have had the 'high' feelings again, the very dry mouth, can't quench my thirst, excessive peeing although havent drank much, feeling hot,hot feet,and spaced out,and very tired and feel like somebodys sucked the life out of me, now usually when i have felt like that, i've tested my blood sugar and i'm quite high...9's,10's,11's but today (not only today) i tested myself, 2 hours after my dinner of which i normally eat,although been feeling like this most of the day..and my blood sugar was 6.3 which is good, so why feeling so ****?

was just wondering if anybody knows what might be going on. I appreciate that everyones different but yoou may know why.

Thanks
Claire

sparkle73

me again, is there a reason that we actually have the 'mod' tools when posting? like stickys,announcements, and global..pretty sure this isn't meant to be there :D oops

Claire

sugar

Hi Claire,
Not an easy question, and probably one for the Dr I am afraid. The only thing I would say is that being a new Mum leaves most people feeling shattered etc..although not usually dry mouthed. Sometimes, I have felt that diabetes is a label, in that once you have that label, absolutely everything is down to diabetes. I wonder could this "label" have made you hyper sensitive to the way your body is working, and it could be that all new Mums feels this way???

I am no expert though...and if you are feeling bad, probably worth getting it checked out? It does sound positive in some ways though...I am Type 1, but my Dad, who is type 2, was "high" pretty much all the time when he was diagnosed.

Best of luck!

sparkle73

Thanks for your reply Sugar,

I have felt like this for about 8 years and been to the doctors quite alot over that time. I do suffer with stress and anxiety (who doesn't though) but this seems to be ongoing symptoms and nobody not even the doctors knew what was happening as at that time they wouldn't test me for diabetes although i had all the symptoms of type 2 and also my father at the time. Anyway, they checked me for an over active thyroid and it was clear. But can't help wondering whether there's something internal going on other than stress and anxiety.

Anyway, i have moved since then so maybe this new doctor can think of something although i did go to the emergancy doctor a few months back as i was having nightmares,hot,sweating,very thirsty,peeing alot and also my urine was yellow and very warm. They checked for a water infection but it came back clear.

Anyway, i guess i'll never know what's causing it, been too long now and still non the wiser.Thought it was diabetes related but obviously not with my readings being ok. I know stress can do alot but this is different, can't explain why.

No i know it isn't down to being labelled diabetic, if anything at the time when i thought i had it, daft as it seems, i actually thought i was seeing a breakthrough..as in at least knowing the cause of feeling ill, because the although it's bad enough for anyone to be told they have this and that, at least you can pinpoint it and make steps on trying to either cope with it or recover. But being left in the dark with it, seems much worse in my opinion, not that i would want to have an illness, but at least you know what you're deaing with.

Claire