I don't understand my blood results. Feel stupid.

AnnM99

Hi.
I've just logged online with my surgery and seen this:

Blood haematinic levels
Serum vitamin B12 level 700 ng/L [197.0 - 771.0]; B12 levels are often lower in pregnancy and therefore
need careful clinical interpretation in such scenarios.
Suggest discuss with the consultant haematologist if
further advice is required.
Serum folate level 4.9 ug/L [2.0 - 18.7]
Serum ferritin level 385.0 ug/L [20.0 - 130.0]; Outside reference range

It says that the result is ABNOMAL BUT TO BE EXPECTED and that I have been advised (which I haven't) and that no further action is necessary.
What on earth is wrong with the result? Sorry if I'm being thick i just want to know about my own bloods/body. Lol.
What do I need to do? I take 1 x 500mg of Metformin. Hab1c been sitting at 41 for 2 consecutive years.
Any info appreciated.
TIA.

• Hug
Reactions: jjraak

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
B12 looks ok to me and I’ve done a lot of b12 (and ferritin) reading. Lots of people aim for up to 1000 as optimal. Many places don’t even have an upper range and it’s often higher than yours when they do. More b12 is better than less. It’s water soluble and there’s little evidence it causes issues (though extremely high levels might be a symptom of and indicate another issue - much higher than yours btw)

folate could be higher but the nhs won’t ever call that low. Another that is more optimal at the top of range

Ferritin is really quite high. That typically gets investigated. It might be as simple as inflammation (an illness or infection or other known condition perhaps) or it could be something along the lines of haemochromotosis. Or a number of other things. I can’t see it’s likely to be diabetes connected in any obvious way unless that itself has got complications but your hba1c suggests that’s not particularly likely either. In your shoes I’d call your surgery and as to talk to a clinician as you haven’t been advised to your knowledge and want to be.

Last edited: