I don't understand

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello,

I've been on Metformin 500mg for 7 days now (after changing from Gliclazide) and the Dr said to increase to two tablets daily after a week but my Blood Glucose readings are so much better than on Gliclazide, between 5.5 and 8.5 each day so I don't understand why I need to increase the amount, unless we need to be at 5 all the time?

I have a Covid Rehab team member checking up once a week and when she asked how my new meds were, I asked her why I needed to increase and the reply was 2 tablets a day is just a standard dose and best to do what the Dr says! Told her I wasn't happy without knowing why, so she went and asked the hospital pharmacist who also didn't know the answer, "just do as your told."

The Diabetes Nurse is on holiday for another week so can I wait until then to see what she says before increasing or maybe someone here knows the answer to why I should double the amount now?

Thanks for any info.

Irene

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
To be honest, I think it’s just the standard protocol to ‘ease up’ the dosing to try and minimise side effects. It’s completely your decision whether to increase now or wait until you speak to the nurse.

Reactions: jjraak

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello,

I've been on Metformin 500mg for 7 days now (after changing from Gliclazide) and the Dr said to increase to two tablets daily after a week but my Blood Glucose readings are so much better than on Gliclazide, between 5.5 and 8.5 each day so I don't understand why I need to increase the amount, unless we need to be at 5 all the time?

I have a Covid Rehab team member checking up once a week and when she asked how my new meds were, I asked her why I needed to increase and the reply was 2 tablets a day is just a standard dose and best to do what the Dr says! Told her I wasn't happy without knowing why, so she went and asked the hospital pharmacist who also didn't know the answer, "just do as your told."

The Diabetes Nurse is on holiday for another week so can I wait until then to see what she says before increasing or maybe someone here knows the answer to why I should double the amount now?

Thanks for any info.

Irene

Sounds like your bloods are fine.
If you don't want to increase the dose then I seriously doubt that a week will make any difference at all.

searley

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Diabetes, not having Jaffa Cake
When I was first diagnosed they wanted me on 3 tablets a day start with one a week… then 2 then 3

2 tablets will just be the standard starting dose…. You could carry on on 1 tablet for another week or so then decide if you want to increase it

Reactions: jjraak

Fruitella

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
You are very unlikely to go 'too low' on Metformin unlike glicazide if that is a concern.