I Hate Greens

ExD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Thanks for all those supportive replies, I didn't expect to find so many people feeling the same way I do. I used to eat a lot of carrots, parsnips and swede as well as potatoes - I call tomatoes, peas and cucumber fruit, so only eat small amounts. I also find the cabbage. brussels and other green bitter leaves seem to give me loose stools ..... maybe I don't cope well with roughage.
As I feel perfectly healthy (apart from arthritis) I think I'll continue to base my meals on protein and fill up on the few vegs I like - my GP seems happy with my progress anyway.

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers
Reactions: 2 people

ab.clay

Type of diabetes
Type 2
All vegetables - Mmmmm! Makes my mouth water thinking of that tender spinach, spring greens, cauliflower, marrow, zucchini, runner, broad, French, fine & dwarf beans etc. I can't get enough. Go well in stir-fry's. When I was very young an old farm worker told me that his golden rule was never eat what you can't gather yourself (grown on these islands), meat must only come from animals that you can catch (i.e. no beef) as I matured and became embroiled with modern living I disregarded this advice and ended up with sky high BG, had 2 heart attacks and was obese. Now my BG normal BP normal weight normal and feel very healthy. Best of all - all above can be grown in your own garden including chickens.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
I must admit that when ever I see the title of this thread I do feel a little like a member of a minority group.:)

Streety

Type of diabetes
LADA
I sympathise with your loathing of vegies.

I used to think I hated them too until I started cooking them for myself.

When I was younger, it was the 'treatment' my mum gave vegies to keep them green until dad came home.
She would put bicarb of soda in the water. This was in the days before microwaves.

Cooking and growing vegies myself I have found that I love cauliflower (eat it as a rice substitute) and broccoli.
I like sprouts too but serve them with seeded mustard and a little butter - takes the sting out of them.

Once you have grown your own capsicum the difference between the shop ones is crazy flavour-wise.

You could try bok-choy or chinese cabbage (not really a cabbage) it's easy to grow and quick to cook.
My favourite is to sweat the bok-choy off with a little onion and sunflower seeds. Then, I add a dash of soy sauce and the merest hint of sesame oil. You have a lovely warm green veg accompaniment to any meal.

Another green is zucchinis or courgette (I think you call them). I like to fry them on a non-stick pan or cook them in the oven with a spritz of olive oil over them and salt and pepper. You can make big batches and reheat.

The main thing is to enjoy and eat the rainbow. Different colours = different nutrients.

Sauron

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Morons
Any veg you eat are going to better for you and generally the more the better but supplements will go a long way of ensuring that you get enough vitamins etc

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
When I was younger, it was the 'treatment' my mum gave vegies to keep them green until dad came home.
She would put bicarb of soda in the water. This was in the days before microwaves.
Yes my mother used to do the same made them most unpalatable.

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
I have eaten virtually no plants or food made from plants since June 2015. No supplements. No signs of scurvy or any other issues. I'm doing fine with no fibre or vitamin C or greens or starch.