1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2022 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

I have had the omnipod Dash since December

Discussion in 'Insulin Pump Forum' started by heatherparris, Apr 5, 2022.

1. heatherparris

heatherparris · Member

I have had high blood sugars for 5 or more hours after I change the pod. I definitely pinch up and have changed my site regularly, I leave on old pod even though deactivated for a few hours just encase any residue insulin is there. I think the cannula must not be going in deep enough even though it shows the pink dot. My diet is the same. I have been a diabetic for 45 years so know how to monitor it; Have the Freestyle libre 2 sensor so can test my blood sugars as many times as necessary. Have real doubts about the omnipod anyone else have similar problems?

2. himtoo

himtoo Type 1 · Well-Known Member
    Retired Moderator

Hi there Heather.....when i first started using omnipod i too noticed a rise in shoogs after a pod change --- i spoke to quite a few other pump users about this and it appears it is a fairly common occurence......so what i do to attempt to slow or stop the rise .......

sometimes i put a small correction bolus on the old pod just before i change it ( 0.5u to 1u)
    sometimes i put an increased temporary basal on the new pod to get a pool of insulin started at the new site ( i vary between 15 and 35% for 2 hours depending on what my shoogs are at pod change time )
    sometimes i do a small bolus on the new pod site to get that pool of insulin started

depending on where my shoogs are at pod change time sometimes i will do 2 or even all 3 of those things.

perhaps talk to your DSN for advice as well as they deal with a lot of pump patients .

3. StewM

StewM Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Hi Heather, had the Omnipod Dash for a similar length of time as yourself and experienced the exact same issue.

What resolved the issue for me was switching my Pod Change time to just before bed as 1) this would mean I wasn't eating during the time my Blood Sugars were running higher- this alone made a massive difference and 2) this was also the time of day when my Basal rate was the lowest so the Pod not operating at 100% effectiveness had the smallest effect it could possibly have.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. h884

h884 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Hi Heather . I have been using the Omnipod dash for over a year now and also experience similar issues. I do not have any other suggestions to make. I have tried them and they do help.

Good luck

5. heatherparris

heatherparris · Member

I tried your method changing pod before bed and BS was ok on waking (won'r give you values because live in Europe and different readings); Then gave myself my normal 5 units bolus and then 2 hours later really high BS 325 (18mmol) gave myself another 3 units

6. StewM

StewM Type 1 · Well-Known Member

If that was me, I’d suspect there were other issues to solve than just the pod change issue.

Do you normally see highs (or higher than typical readings) in the morning?

7. heatherparris

heatherparris · Member

seeing

8. Mazzi724

Mazzi724 Type 1 · Newbie

Hi Heather I am also having a lot of similar problems when I’ve changed the pod. the other issue is I think I am catching the pod and slightly dislodging the needle. I find that if im wearing trousers or jeans this can happen when I wear it on the thighs which im
    Going to avoid that area unless wearing a dress or skirt. I am finding limited areas to wear the pod due to the frequency if changing sites

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook