I have just been told I am diabetic type 2.

pippa

Hi. I am now lost in a world of facts and figures all of which mean nothing to me. I have high colestrole as well as high suger levels. I feel like I can not get to grips with diets, testing and everything that goes with it, have been signed off work with stress, got appointments with diabetic nurse tomorrow. How do you lot cope with work,etc. I have tablets to take which are being increased from 1 a day to 4 a day over the next 3 weeks. Is there anyone out there who can help a messed up, mixed up, over weight, 55yr old woman?

C

catherinecherub

Hi pippa and welcome to the forum.
I can empathise with how you are feeling as can all the forum members. It all seems too much to take in at the beginning.
Have a good read around the forum and you may see some of the things that you are concerned about being discussed.
Perhaps you could tell as what you eat on an average day as this has a great bearing on the control of diabetes. Have you been given a meter to test your blood sugars as this is a necessary part of management.?
Please try not to worry as it does get easier once you understand the basics.
Any questions then please ask.
Regards, Catherine.

ChocFish

Hello Pippa

Welcome to the forum though of course I wish that you didnt have to be here

I know just exactly how you feel, every newly diagnosed diabetic is scared, confused, shocked, maybe angry and a whole lot more emotions come to the surface, but fear not, it will all settle down and in time, as you learn about diabetes and how to control it you will become more relaxed about it all and realise that it is not the end of the world.

Read as much in this forum as you can, ask questions, all you want, there is always someone here to give you support, encouragement and expert advice.

A good starting point would be this link here viewtopic.php?f=1&t=3527&p=18539#p18539

Get hold of two books, Dr Bernstein The Diabetes Solution and Dr Charles Clarke The Diabetes Revolution (<<< this book is really easy to understand and you can even read it in a day, its also not too expensive)

All the best

Karen x

IanD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Carbohydrates
Hi Pippa,

Yes - we all panicked on diagnosis, & we have to change diet, BUT the changes we make should be changes for the better, so that once we get to grips with the condition our general health improves. I was just turned 60 when diagnosed now I'm nearly 70 & still play a good game of tennis.

No need to panic - good control prevents diabetic complications & in any case it takes years.

Were you told any numbers? You can ask for a printout of your blood test results.

Look for HbA1c, which is your average blood sugar level for the last 2-3 months. Non-diabs will be below 5.5, above 10 needs medication.

As far as eating is concerned "they" will tell you "low sugar, low fat, low salt" & to eat comlex carbohydrates - brown basmati rice, multigrain bread, pasta, etc, at every meal, including breakfast cereals like porridge & Special K & Albran. Fruit juices are high sugar & should be avoided.

My experience (& that of many on the forum) is that that diet is not the best, & carbohydrates should be greatly reduced. Eat more protein (cheese, meat, nuts) & vegetables, other than potatoes.

Ask your Dr or nurse about a test meter AND test strips on prescription. Readings should be 4-6 overnight & 6-8 two hours after food.

I'm surprised that the medication is starting so soon, & building up to 4 a day. Usually they try you on diet to see what control is possible.

VBee

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Baked beans
Welcome to the forum Pippa. :)

totsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
liars, animal cruelty
hya pippa,
welcome to the forum :D

pippa

Thanks for your words of wisdom, I certainly feel that I can get to grips with everything involved from diet to feet. I have spent a number of hours just going throught this site and am amazed at what is out there.
My nurse as given me a meter to monitor my bloods,gone through diet with me ( i still feel hungrey) but getting there.had all the normal checks that is part and parcel of being diabetic. learnt that it is not going to come to me over night and that the way forward is to stay in touch with the forum and learn.
tablets didn't agree with me when they were increased so am back to one a day of a slow release tablets. Blood level running at 8-9 but since it was 12.6 is a great improvement but a long way to go still. stress is not helping but this is being addressed and once my mother is in a nursing home should improve, she's in hospital at the moment and worrying about her and making sure she is comfortable is taking its toll on me. I should be looking after myself but find it hard relax.
so i will keep reading and learning.