I have Nuropathy

AlaskaRon

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Not Having Pizza!
Both of my feet all the way up to my shin are numb. I was just diagnosed with diabetes and I assume that that's the cause of it.

anyone tell me if there is any chance that it will go away when I get my BS under control?

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
@AlaskaRon It is difficult to say if it will or not some people report improvement with lowered BG others not, mine so far has not gone away.

Others take supplements such as vitamin B12 and/or Alpha Lipoic Acid which seems to help in some cases.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi and welcome, @AlaskaRon.

Neuropathy always used to be considered progressive, but there have been good reports by people on the forum that R AlphaLipoicAcid may help, along with some other supplements (as @JohnEGreen said :) ) and recently @sally and james posted a very positive video link by Dr Bernstein who has been treating diabetics for 40 years, and who believes that neuropathy can be improved, providing we achieve and maintain 'normal' blood glucose levels. Those are blood glucose levels at non-diabetic levels, which are below those recommended by most doctors. It may take a long time.

BrianTheElder

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Snide people
Hi @AlaskaRon I had numbness and pins and needles for 3 years after diagnosis, but when I started the LCHF diet, it pretty well disappeared after a few months. It hasn't gone altogether, but I am hoping it will with time. Good luck with your bs control.

SusMcG

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
For me I think the best thing with neuropathy is to get your BS under control as soon as you can. For me it ebbed, but I get occasional flare ups now and then.
I am type 1 and neuropathy was my symptom which spurred my diagnosis.

TattooGuru

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have it pretty bad, in my left foot/shin more so. i must point out my diabetes has been poorly controlled over the years and have no one but myself to blame for it.
I'm now keeping much better control of my sugars, but it's a bit like shutting the gate after the bull has got out! My advise is if you feel the pins and needles starting, early signs, then try and get on top of it straight away. Because it only gets worse, a lot worse:nailbiting:

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Getting old, turning into a dribbling wreck and having a diminished quality of life.
I started off with feet turning into blocks of ice and wounds on my feet and legs taking forever to heal, then my hands started to go the same way and I had to go to the doctors to find out what was wrong. The end result was welcome to the world of type two diabetes and nerve damage to lots of different parts of my body. For the feet, I got put on Duloxetine 20mg capsules 4 of them 2 times a day. They transformed the feet ab fab they feel like feet again, not perfect but the lack of feeling has been sorted.

SIDE EFFECTS: I tend to get all the side effects of drugs I take so my feel good scale has moved from 1 to 10 to 5 to 15 which also helps deal with life. Down side being permamently happy and open can lead you to make dumb desicions so make sure you have someone you trust to help you when things are to good to be true. I say that because I managed to get into massive amounts of debt trying to start my perfect business while on this drug and a vision of rainbows and unicorns is not a good business plan.

Reactions: AlaskaRon

Speedylee

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi there typically no it won't just go away I've been diabetic 23 years and am suffering from neuropathy and have the same symptoms as u unfortunately all I can say it just gets worse

anyone tell me if there is any chance that it will go away when I get my BS under control?[/QUOTE]

Thyroiddiabetic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I'm always surprised how well and healthy Dr Bernstein looks in his videos .Especially a type 1 aged 80 if I am correct.
I wonder if he himself suffers from any complications

Last edited:

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm always surprised how well and healthy Dr Bernstein looks in his videos .Especially a type 1 aged 80 if I am correct.
I wonder if he himself suffers from any complications

In Bernstein's book The Diabetes Solution he describes how he had quite a few different complications by the time he reached his 40s.

But after decades of very tight blood glucose control they have all resolved (healed?) except for some damage to his feet, which affect his walking.

Reactions: Thyroiddiabetic

Thyroiddiabetic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
In Bernstein's book The Diabetes Solution he describes how he had quite a few different complications by the time he reached his 40s.

But after decades of very tight blood glucose control they have all resolved (healed?) except for some damage to his feet, which affect his walking.
Thanks for the info very interesting.

Pura Vida

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@AlaskaRon It is difficult to say if it will or not some people report improvement with lowered BG others not, mine so far has not gone away.

Others take supplements such as vitamin B12 and/or Alpha Lipoic Acid which seems to help in some cases.

I have been taking 400mg of Alpha Lipoic Acid for a week and to my surprise my
Nuropathy has all but disapeared.