I love my healthcare practitioners !

charliebarker

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I read a lot of stories on this forum about DN and GP's who are less than useless when it comes to managing diabetes with anything other than drugs and more drugs and recommendations of eating pasta and porridge with every meal ! Thought it would be nice to share the outcome of my first DN meeting today. She was VERY happy with my progress (see signature below). She wasn't phased by LCHF diet or by 8 fingers pricks a day - (although she struggled with herself when I said I only ate about 50g of carbs a day - but satisfied herself when looking at a print out of my weekly average food intake, seeing that all was well and healthy.) She was fascinated by the freestyle libre and got me to show her all the reports as well as a practical demonstration (yes - it's managed to stay on for 8 days now - result: body glue !!). She'd heard a radio programme about it and was thrilled that it was so informative and as she said 'good for recalcitrant teenagers who refuse to test' !! All in all a great meeting, even though I was dreading having to defend myself against my LCHF lifestyle and had reams of print outs with me, but she was so supportive. She gave my feet a quick once over and put me on the eye test list and then gave me a pneumonia jab ! (would have preferred a lolly like the old days!).
Let's take heart that their are great healthcare practitioners out there quietly getting on with research and keeping up to date with stuff, even though we often hear the horror stories there are some with a happier ending.....huzzah for her !!!

dbr10

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I read a lot of stories on this forum about DN and GP's who are less than useless when it comes to managing diabetes with anything other than drugs and more drugs and recommendations of eating pasta and porridge with every meal ! Thought it would be nice to share the outcome of my first DN meeting today. She was VERY happy with my progress (see signature below). She wasn't phased by LCHF diet or by 8 fingers pricks a day - (although she struggled with herself when I said I only ate about 50g of carbs a day - but satisfied herself when looking at a print out of my weekly average food intake, seeing that all was well and healthy.) She was fascinated by the freestyle libre and got me to show her all the reports as well as a practical demonstration (yes - it's managed to stay on for 8 days now - result: body glue !!). She'd heard a radio programme about it and was thrilled that it was so informative and as she said 'good for recalcitrant teenagers who refuse to test' !! All in all a great meeting, even though I was dreading having to defend myself against my LCHF lifestyle and had reams of print outs with me, but she was so supportive. She gave my feet a quick once over and put me on the eye test list and then gave me a pneumonia jab ! (would have preferred a lolly like the old days!).
Let's take heart that their are great healthcare practitioners out there quietly getting on with research and keeping up to date with stuff, even though we often hear the horror stories there are some with a happier ending.....huzzah for her !!!
Great to hear a positive experience.

kjc2011

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Exercising lol
That's great sounds like my practice nurse she is so supportive in everything i do and suggest and is open to new ideas and she was even the one to suggest i lower my carb intake and pointed me in the direction of this website!

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Lots of poeple still think "low carb" == "no veg", when healthcare pracitioners see people are eating lots of green veg they often become happy.

Reactions: dbr10