I need a quick bit of advice please.

• Thread starter Deleted member 504664
  • Start Date

coz53

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi there,

About 4 years ago, I changed my insulin regime from mixtard 30/70 twice a day too one long-acting insulin (Lantus) in the morning and 6 to 8 quick acting (Apidra) insulin, ranging from 1 to 8 units each time.

Since then I also use an app called Hedia that helps me calculate my quick acting insulin dosage.

I have a problem though.

For argument’s sake let’s say that my insulin sensitivity ratio is 1 Unit of quick acting to 10 Carbs and a cup of tea say has 10 carbs, (I do Like my milk and it is actually 7 carbs per mug) so each time I drink one cup of tea I should inject one unit of quick acting. But I drink more tea than it takes for the insulin to work and wear off and I am finding now that I am at the end of the day, I am having hypos as I have 5 units of active insulin in my body still working, but not having anymore tea, then if I eat on top I am told to inject even more.

My question is, how do I prevent the hypos at the end of the day, but still enjoy my regular cups of tea, is that possible even?

My Insulin Sensitivity Ratio is, 1 Unit to 13.5 Carbs currently, and has worked fine.

I self-treat my diabetes and have not seen a doctor or nurse about my it for over 14 years. This is probably why I do not know the answer to this question, and I cannot find the answer online.

This has only just become more of an issue for me as I recently invested in a Libre Lifestyle Monitor and Sensors, so I can now see things much more clearly, though there is a 10 minute time lag from what my sugar actually is and what the reader tells me, I take that in to consideration when calculating my insulin. It it a great investment so far, though it is bringing up more questions.

I have already started taking a smaller dose (5 Units) of Lantus in the evening to stop my blood spiking during the night, and it works great and all stable through the night now.

Thank you for your time in this matter and any advice would be appreciated, so that I can start to level my sugars off in the day.

Matt.
I used Lantus for years but found it unpredictable so asked for Tresiba which was brilliant. Fortunately I now have full funding for a Medtronic 780g and G4 sensors on a closed loop (artificial pancreas) system which has changed my life.

Reactions: EllieM