I need a snack.

poorleen

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Being incapacitated
Hello everyone. I am still trying to find my way around sorting out a balanced diet for my type 2.

I am searching for a low carb bread/roll/crispbread substitute to include in my lunchtime menu or just to enjoy a snack with a bit of body but I am having little success. Can anyone help ?
. I saw that Lidl had stopped one and that someone had started a petition to reinstate it. Can anyone recommend a tasty one please. I will share my bacon butty with you.

I also need to know if sugar free jellies fit successfully into LC/HF. I used to use them years ago but that was
pre - diabetes. I would be very interested to know what others think as my head is spinning now. Thanks for taking the time to read this

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Apart from an occasional desperation (but always disappointing) bake I’ve given up on bread. I’ve had slightly more success with seed crackers or “fathead” dough rolled thin and baked crisp.

Some people can manage a slice of hi lo bread or burgen soya and linseed but I’m not happy with the spike even one slice gives me.

Sugar free jellies I’d say are dependant on the sweetener used and your acceptance (artificial most likely) and blood glucose response. Some sweeteners give some people a reaction despite the lack of calories. I’ve seen mention of using gelatine and herbal/fruit teas and your personal choice of sweetener

Muddikins

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I hear you and feel your loss:(
I used to make some lovely bread if I do say so myself, a sourdough culture I grew from scratch etc. I gave my culture away and haven't had any bread since my diagnosis six months ago. I keep looking at a low carb bread recipe on Diet Doctor but haven't tried it for fear of disappointment and because I have this thought that if you can't eat bread then you can't eat bread and trying to replicate it is a bit like being vegetarian and trying to cook things that taste like meat.
Do you have a meter that you can use? I decided against using mine to see how many carbs I can 'get away with' but plenty of other people do use theirs that way and you can find out what works for you.
Diet Doctor has a good section on artificial sweeteners so that might help with the jellies but in the end even those come down to individual reaction as measured by a meter.

Reactions: 1spuds

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I had a go at these last night. Not bad at all. Passed on from @BibaBee

https://www.sugarfreemom.com/recipes/2-minute-low-carb-english-muffin/

I ate it toasted with butter and a slice of cheddar cheese. Very nice indeedy.
39F75093-E611-472B-B29E-7B81B8093D75.jpeg

BibaBee

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

BibaBee

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I hear you and feel your loss:(
I used to make some lovely bread if I do say so myself, a sourdough culture I grew from scratch etc. I gave my culture away and haven't had any bread since my diagnosis six months ago. I keep looking at a low carb bread recipe on Diet Doctor but haven't tried it for fear of disappointment and because I have this thought that if you can't eat bread then you can't eat bread and trying to replicate it is a bit like being vegetarian and trying to cook things that taste like meat.
Do you have a meter that you can use? I decided against using mine to see how many carbs I can 'get away with' but plenty of other people do use theirs that way and you can find out what works for you.
Diet Doctor has a good section on artificial sweeteners so that might help with the jellies but in the end even those come down to individual reaction as measured by a meter.
I used to make my own sourdough too and was a keen baker of cakes and treats. I could still bake it and eat these things, as it's my husband who has been diagnosed, but I feel it would be too cruel to tempt him. I think low-carb baking involves a lot of trial and error. Don't expect to find things that will replace your beloved sourdough, but you might find things that can be used in a similar way to bread. My husband doesn't react to the SF jelly from Hartleys. A lot of people on here eat it.

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Did you add any extra ground flax? It makes them lovely and nutty. My new snack discovery tonight is the pleasure of dipping a plump strawberry in slightly salty, runny almond butter!
I didn’t have ground flax so added whole flax seeds.

Reactions: 1spuds and BibaBee