I need help

pau1200

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have been type 2 for a few years now and currently receive slow release metformin 500mg twice a day. I have changed my diet but still heavily overweight but it’s slowly coming off.
I had my h1 in September and it had reduced from 90 to 65mmol so heading in the right direction.
I had a bit of a blow out Christmas Day, mostly red wine and suffered Boxing Day, yes I was really stupid huts it’s been a hard year.
Completely back on low carb but yesterday and today I’ve had reading at 25mmol and I’m eating no carbs.
This morning I woke up to 18mmol and after 2 boiled eggs and black coffee it was up to 25mmol again.
I am worried that the blow out has done some permanent damage and I do t know what to do.

help or advice please.

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
If I have a blow out it can take a few days to return to my normal.

What are you actually eating?

pau1200

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
If we ignore Christmas Day as I would rather forget that, to be fair it wasn’t bad food wise but I consumed to much alcohol, a bottle and half of red wine and whiskey.
Boxing Day i was hung over and very tired so a few crackers with cheese, grapes and some cooked turkey. Yesterday I skipped breakfast, had another turkey dinner but with no potatoes, so turkey slices, broccoli,cauliflower and 2 roast parsnips with gravy. For supper a few crackers with cheese.
Today so far just the boiled eggs, need to eat lunch but scared to eat anything at the minute. I’m supposed to be cooking a curry tonight but I can’t see me eating that, I do love boiled rice

pau1200

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I’m down to 17.6 so heading the right direction.
I’m guessing I need to find some cauliflower rice for the curry tonight

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The crackers could be problematic depending on how many. T1s can use grapes to treat a hypo. I can tolerate a small amount of parsnips but your meter should guide you.

Reactions: Serena51

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have been type 2 for a few years now and currently receive slow release metformin 500mg twice a day. I have changed my diet but still heavily overweight but it’s slowly coming off.
I had my h1 in September and it had reduced from 90 to 65mmol so heading in the right direction.
I had a bit of a blow out Christmas Day, mostly red wine and suffered Boxing Day, yes I was really stupid huts it’s been a hard year.
Completely back on low carb but yesterday and today I’ve had reading at 25mmol and I’m eating no carbs.
This morning I woke up to 18mmol and after 2 boiled eggs and black coffee it was up to 25mmol again.
I am worried that the blow out has done some permanent damage and I do t know what to do.

help or advice please.

Hi Paul, I find that if I have a day more carby than usual, no matter how I treat it or what I do in the days that follow, my fasting levels remain higher for at least 2 days afterwards. I think it's the knock on effect, in the same way that if I need to change my basal (long acting insulin) it doesn't change anything until around 3 days later. x

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Avoid the crackers! I did the same and I too am struggling to get the numbers back down. Not unexpected, I admit, but I certainly endorse the move to cauli rice. My HbA1c was 40, so I only peaked up to around 11 worst case after Xmas dinner and brandy butter pud, and I have today seen 5.9 on my meter so getting there.

Not sure it was the booze. My experience of whisky is that it is hypoglycaemic and my bgl drops like a stone. I do not advocate it as a 'cure' because it may be a false low. I think in my case it is that I have recovered my Stage 1 Insulin response and a sugar hit triggers an insulin burst whereas it used to avoid it and go straight to the basal slow reacting bgl lowering mode I had when DX'ed. Normal LC eating does not trigger the stage 1 response nowadays, so my bgl is normally slow to drop without the booze.

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
I wonder if when a LC person indulges, the liver is suddenly charged up with an extra load of glycogen and it takes a couple of days to clear out?

I am also winding down after an indulgent Xmas day and seeing my fasting levels higher than usual.

VashtiB

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm another who suspects it takes a few days to recover though I agree the crackers and grapes won't help.

I've decided to take the position of just being grateful that we are able to reduce our blood sugar levels by low carb and that the body does fix itself in a way so the damage isn't permanent. For me reminding myself about that will hopefully stop me focussing on the things I can't have. I also try while on holiday to eat a few things I really love but are low carb- smoked salmon- yum, crispy skin salmon yum, pork crackling etc. The last two I would have avoided doing low calorie diets (also chicken skin which I also love). Eating these things remind me I'm not on a diet.

Reactions: KK123 and Serena51