I need to know if other peope has this problem

jcooney

I have had type 2 diabetes since 1990, and am under pretty good control. My reason for seeking help here is because my 17 year old daughter has type 1 and was diagnosed in May of 2007 and is still having alot of issues with control which causes us to fight alot and I am needing to know if anyone else out there is struggling with this. I am sending her to college next year and fear the worst. There is nothing I can do to make her see what this is doing to her, she is very active, has always played sports, i just can't get her to check it and take her insulin and control like she should . She takes Lantus at night, we are up to 24 units, and Nololog for anytime she eats carbs, and her ratio is 1 unit for every 5 carbs. The first year was all good cause she was still on her "honeymoon" stage but now she has 300's , 400's, 200's, and then every now and then you get a 100 or so. she is all over the place and there is nothing I can do!! I just need to know if there is any other parents struggling with this and how they deal with letting go , she hates for me to talk to her about it with her.

kegstore

Dislikes
Unnecessary rudeness, and any PC
So your daughter was 15 when diagnosed? Worst age possible - I know because I was 14 and barely tolerated it for years, simply because all the bad things were years off, and nobody was going to tell me what to do! Sound familiar? My dad was a GP too, so there wasn't exactly a lack of medical knowledge in the family, but he knew that the only person who could take control was me, and no amount of frowns, arguments and lectures were going to make the slightest difference to a stroppy teenager.

Your daughter will have a "Road to Damascus" moment, but there's no predicting when this will be. However I'm not a parent myself (maybe that's fortunate), so I hope other successful parents of diabetic teenagers will chip in. Bottle it and they could make a small fortune!