Type 2 I think my body/sweat smells of urine

ginger

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Over the last week I have notice a urine like smell on my body (even after my daily shower). I do have 'ops' moments and wear pads which I change through out the day so thought they might be the smell source. But I don't think it is that. I also still have hot flushes a couple of times a day and hot weather doesn't help.

I think I have a general body odour now. On separate occasions different friends have commented. Saying oh it smells like a cat has ****** in here and there is a real fish smell. These were not directed at me but I fear when I see them again they will see that is me smelling. Does anyone know if this is a Diabetes symptom or what I might do to stop this?

Thanks for your time, Ginger

Patsuiter

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I had a similar problem years ago..went to East Timor for 4 weeks as part of a uni program for social justice but the diet was rice rice and more rice. My skin took on a perculiar odor which inretrospect may have been ketones. I'm type 2 diabetic, didn't take a glucometer and obviously didn't think it through re diet as I was not on meds at that time. Hope things improve of you.

Jordi77

Type of diabetes
Type 2
If I get ketosis or ketones you get that sorted of small sent or a sent of berries but it is only for a few days when you go to hospital and get meds sent through you which is normally insulin and antibiotics and glucose via a drip and if you don't get it sorted out you can do a lot of damage to your body and organs as it happened to me a couple of months ago and I was really ill with it and I could have died with it if I hadn't seen a doctor in the hospital and I was back to normal within a few hours but I still had to stay in hospital for a couple of days just to be checked over and to be checked in every couple of hours by a nurse to make sure I was okay and I was still there and then was sent home with a pack of potassium tablets and instructions for them and in a few days afterwards back to normal now just now and then still feel the after affects but fine otherwise and no side effects of the ketones in my body

ginger

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Thanks for your responses. I will look up ketones. I thought they were present when you ate very little carbs?

Alison Campbell

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
hanks for your responses. I will look up ketones. I thought they were present when you ate very little carbs?

This would depend on your diabetes type and medication.

I think the responses you have recieved maybe based on assumptions about your diet, medication and blood glucose levels. You may get more specific advise if you tell us about your diet, medication and blood glucose levels.

I think people with diabetes will not generally smell different if blood glucose levels sugars are in normal range.

It is possible that food, high blood sugar and/or an infection can cause changes in body odour. Also some medications can affect body smells and our sense of smell.

Also the 'opps' moment adverts make it seem common place and accepted so we purchase the products.

I would suggest you see a doctor to rule out other causes, high blood sugar and/or infection etc

ginger

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Yes, seeing Doc on Tues. I am taking metformin, gliclazide and sitagliptin. Overweight but no recent change in diet or weight for a while. Eat a lot of veg, carbs, low amounts of alcohol and occasional meat/dairy. Thinking of seeing if anyone on this the forum is doing the Newcastle diet or similar fasting weight control.

Deespee23

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Over the last week I have notice a urine like smell on my body (even after my daily shower). I do have 'ops' moments and wear pads which I change through out the day so thought they might be the smell source. But I don't think it is that. I also still have hot flushes a couple of times a day and hot weather doesn't help.

I think I have a general body odour now. On separate occasions different friends have commented. Saying oh it smells like a cat has ****** in here and there is a real fish smell. These were not directed at me but I fear when I see them again they will see that is me smelling. Does anyone know if this is a Diabetes symptom or what I might do to stop this?

Thanks for your time, Ginger
What sort of diet are you eating? A low-carb diet that results in ketosis will make your breath and sweat smell of acetone. I get this now & again. Hope doc can get you sorted.

Alison Campbell

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
So pleased you are seeing a doctor, how are your blood sugars at the moment? Do you test at home

ginger

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Saw the doctor and he said my blood test from my last diabetic check has gone up from 7.5 to 8.7. I have had my Mum visiting for the last two months and not getting the walks in I usually do so he says to see how it goes now I am back to walking more.
Re smell he said as the other tests where ok it will not be medical. I find this odd and I still think it must be related to something. I am paranoid about meeting up with friends now. Even skipped my art class.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
As for not being able to get out for walk what I do is put a bit of music on and walk on the spot for a while not as good as getting out and about but does help.

Oh and everyone has a bit of body odour try not to worry about it too much.