I will join the pump club next week!

iHs

Wish I'd had a sensor for the first week! Struggling with basals atm because I'm never in range to start a basal test lol it'll all work out in the end though!

Blogging at drivendiabetic.wordpress.com

Basal rate testing isnt as easy as its made out to be...... mainly because of bolus or correction insulin still being active. I didnt do any day time basal rate testing for quite a while. Instead I just adjusted the bolus and the basal to play ball together nicely. When I did do some hourly bg testing for the basal rates, I started about 4am in the morning as at that time, my bg was around the 6mmol mark with no bolus still active, and I carried on with the hourly bg testing until lunchtime and then I stopped, had something to eat with a bolus. I then looked at my bg levels alongside the hourly basal rates and started to adjust the rates up a bit and then down a bit bearing in mind the 2hr rule only I decided to use the 1.5hr rule so that I would adjust the correct hour (24 of them on Combo). I didnt test the adjustments out the next day as I had had enough so left it go and just kept an eye on my bg levels and how the bolus affected them. Weirdly the daytime basals were only out by about 0.03 or 0.02 so not much really.

Anyways..... good luck with it all.

mrman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Basal rate testing isnt as easy as its made out to be...... mainly because of bolus or correction insulin still being active. I didnt do any day time basal rate testing for quite a while. Instead I just adjusted the bolus and the basal to play ball together nicely. When I did do some hourly bg testing for the basal rates, I started about 4am in the morning as at that time, my bg was around the 6mmol mark with no bolus still active, and I carried on with the hourly bg testing until lunchtime and then I stopped, had something to eat with a bolus. I then looked at my bg levels alongside the hourly basal rates and started to adjust the rates up a bit and then down a bit bearing in mind the 2hr rule only I decided to use the 1.5hr rule so that I would adjust the correct hour (24 of them on Combo). I didnt test the adjustments out the next day as I had had enough so left it go and just kept an eye on my bg levels and how the bolus affected them. Weirdly the daytime basals were only out by about 0.03 or 0.02 so not much really.

Anyways..... good luck with it all.

It certainly isn't easy. Still surprising how subtle little changes on the hourly basal rates impact sugar levels.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Reactions: 2 people

Blue2

Hi hale

I hope you get things sorted out soon.

At first I was told they would not use a sensor until after I had the pump for a month but they fitted it in Monday after a week.

I have removed this Monday coming so it will be interesting to see the results.

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It certainly isn't easy. Still surprising how subtle little changes on the hourly basal rates impact sugar levels.

My basals are so low, 0.275 to 0.3 mark, that a 10% change knocks things a bit!

It was easy when I was off work, but now I'm back I think I need substantially more since I'm at a desk most of the day.

With a lot of tweaking (no thanks to my DSN who isn't answering any calls from me now!) I've got myself in a position where I think I'll be able to get an overnight basal test done. Once I've for that under my belt I'm hoping my days will be easier as I'll be starting on decent numbers :)

mrman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
My basals are so low, 0.275 to 0.3 mark, that a 10% change knocks things a bit!

It was easy when I was off work, but now I'm back I think I need substantially more since I'm at a desk most of the day.

With a lot of tweaking (no thanks to my DSN who isn't answering any calls from me now!) I've got myself in a position where I think I'll be able to get an overnight basal test done. Once I've for that under my belt I'm hoping my days will be easier as I'll be starting on decent numbers :)

Yeah, does help the rest of day starting in a good range, hope you get that sorted soon.

Reactions: 2 people