Ice Cream (trivial question)

Kingsland

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Plain fish, tripe, porridge, pasta, boiled rice,
I see you can buy whats called Diabetic Ice Cream in the supermarkets. Is this a good product to try or would it be a better idea to make your own from cream and canderelle? Anyone got any recipes? I haven't had ice cream for ages.

Rob2006Scott

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've been advised to avoid anything labelled as "diabetic". Overpriced and with few, if any, benefits. Making your own stuff is always better as you know exactly what's in it.

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Acceptance of health treatment claims that are not adequately supported by evidence. I dislike it when people sell ineffective and even harmful alternative health products to exploit the desperation of people with chronic illness.
I love ice cream and haven't had any for ages. If I wanted to buy some, I'd just read the nutritional panels and pick the one with the lowest carbs. There are some low carb sorbet-style products available.

Kingsland

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Plain fish, tripe, porridge, pasta, boiled rice,
Sorbet doesn't quite hit the spot does it? :) We did have a small ice cream maker, but lent it out and it was returned with a broken paddle, so it'll be back to stirring every hour.

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Acceptance of health treatment claims that are not adequately supported by evidence. I dislike it when people sell ineffective and even harmful alternative health products to exploit the desperation of people with chronic illness.
Sorbet doesn't quite hit the spot does it? :) We did have a small ice cream maker, but lent it out and it was returned with a broken paddle, so it'll be back to stirring every hour.
I agree. Perhaps adding some thickened cream might turn it into ice creamy goodness, without the hourly stirring, which would put me off completely, lol.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
We have a good blender, and I just lob in
1 part double cream
2 parts frozen berries
erythritol or xylitol, to taste
and blend.

Gorgeous berry icecream, at the perfect consistency to eat. Takes 30 secs from start to finish.

Unfortunately, it has to be eaten immediately ;), because if you pop it in the freezer, it sets like concrete.

Reactions: 10 people

Celeriac

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I looked at all the plain vanilla ice creams that I could find in supermarkets about a year ago and the lowest carb that I could find was Kelly's Cornish clotted cream ice cream.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Walls Mini Milk Ice Cream Lollies are 5g of carbs each.

Reactions: 2 people

rden66

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
We have a good blender, and I just lob in
1 part double cream
2 parts frozen berries
erythritol or xylitol, to taste
and blend.

Gorgeous berry icecream, at the perfect consistency to eat. Takes 30 secs from start to finish.t

Unfortunately, it has to be eaten immediately ;), because if you pop it in the freezer, it sets like concrete.
That's what I do albeit without the sweetner.

yvonne49

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Glucose spikes
Yes I had that diabetic ice- cream and spiked to 10.5 so it wasn't very diabetic friendly in my case.

Reactions: 2 people

andcol

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
why not make your own ice cream - at least you know what is in it and can be positive it isnt high carb. I once made chocolate and whiskey ice cream. It had no sugar and was made with 85% choc. I was really nice.

Reactions: 5 people

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
why not make your own ice cream - at least you know what is in it and can be positive it isnt high carb. I once made chocolate and whiskey ice cream. It had no sugar and was made with 85% choc. I was really nice.

I'm assuming the alcohol kept the texture pretty good?

A few months ago, I made my OH Nigella's Margarita Icecream. I had a tiny taster from the bowl afterwards. It was divine, and I could probably modify it.

http://www.nigella.com/recipes/view/no-churn-margarita-ice-cream-32