Ice Cream

jenny50

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
my Crohns disease
With the demise of Franks Dialicious Ice Cream can nyone suggest an alternative and where it can be purchased

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I have made my own ice cream several times and find it rather better than anything I could buy.
I have used a heavy iron griddle left in the freezer overnight, then placed on a towel and the ingredients for the icecream mixed in a metal bowl after cooling them and the bowl in the freezer for a while.
A custard of cream and eggs is the basis for the recipe, with mashed fruit, or rum and raisin, or walnut and (just a little) honey as flavouring. After years of low carb I need very little sweetener, if any, in desserts.

• Winner
Reactions: MissMuffett

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have found that a small portion (1/5th of a tub) of Morrisons Best cafe latte ice cream, as part of a meal, doesn't spike me. Unusually it has fairly "clean " ingredients, cream, coffee, sugar no nasties other than the real sugar, no sweeteners. Think it's about 14g carb a portion
Also a mini "magnum " type icecream from Lidl, as part of a meal doesn't spike me. Again about 14g
BUT I do seem to slowly gaining weight
There are several low carb ice cream recipes around

Reactions: Angelofthemarches

PatsyB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
I have a helping of ice cream on my strawburys after my dinner I just go for the lower sugar content one