Ideal night time/before sleep BG leave

Stephyr7783

Hi,
I’m relatively new to Insulin ( about 6 weeks in) and I’m busy trying to titrate my insulin levels up to the correct levels. As you will all know this is very much a trial and error process and blummin confusing at times too! ( I will save that rant for another day)

Ayways I’m currently taking 33 Lantus (6.30pm) 17 novorapid breakfast and lunch and 11/12 novorapid with my evening meal.
The issue I’m having is in trying to get any stability with my tea/before bed levels, they seem to be fluctuating somewhat from day to day. I’ve tried going to bed on somewhere around 7-8mmol/L but I’m still waking up in the mid to high 11s. I’m worried about going to bed too low incase of nighttime hypo, yet I don’t want to be waking up too high either

In people’s opinions is this a basal insulin issue and something that’ll work itself out as I titrate the dose up ? or is it more likely a case of the dawn phenomenon and something I just have to kind of accept? ..Any tips on best time for evening meal if I’m going to bed about 11pm?

thanks in advance

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi,
I’m relatively new to Insulin ( about 6 weeks in) and I’m busy trying to titrate my insulin levels up to the correct levels. As you will all know this is very much a trial and error process and blummin confusing at times too! ( I will save that rant for another day)

Ayways I’m currently taking 33 Lantus (6.30pm) 17 novorapid breakfast and lunch and 11/12 novorapid with my evening meal.
The issue I’m having is in trying to get any stability with my tea/before bed levels, they seem to be fluctuating somewhat from day to day. I’ve tried going to bed on somewhere around 7-8mmol/L but I’m still waking up in the mid to high 11s. I’m worried about going to bed too low incase of nighttime hypo, yet I don’t want to be waking up too high either

In people’s opinions is this a basal insulin issue and something that’ll work itself out as I titrate the dose up ? or is it more likely a case of the dawn phenomenon and something I just have to kind of accept? ..Any tips on best time for evening meal if I’m going to bed about 11pm?

thanks in advance

Steph - Welcome to the forum. Bearing in mind you are new to using insulin, the sort of query you have would best be discussed with whomever is advising you since you moved onto insulin - Nurse/Doc/Clinic.

Is the intent you will stay on fixed doses of insulin, or that over time you will be able to adjust your mealtime insulin to match the food and drink you are having? Most find that gives a bit more flexibility, but of course, it's important to get the basics right first, before complicating anything.