Ideas for a lean pumper?

ExtremelyW0rried

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I’m struggling.
I’ve lost a lot of weight and my bmi is now 18 so I’m slim. I’ve been using a pump for 11 years and have only ever managed to have success with cannulas on my stomach.
I’ve tried every set going and have been using the sure-ts for about a year which were initially better as at least they don’t kink. However the last month or so I’ve lost more weight and now they hurt a lot of the time and I’m only getting 24 hours out of them. After that my blood sugar rockets and the line fills with blood. When I take the sure t out it then bleeds like crazy and bruises.

I’m close to giving up and going back on injections but I had bad overnight hypos on the 24 hour insulins and even on splitting doses of levermir. I take no basal insulin between midnight and 4am when using my pump.

It’s really damaging my quality of life as I don’t trust the sets and randomly end up with hugely high blood sugars.

MStreet89

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I’m due to see my diabetes nurse next week for this very issue. I’d worried about it a while ago after losing a lost of weight due to diet changes and sort of stopped worrying.
Roche seemed to suggest that it’s not the length of the needle that’s the issue but the angle. Either way they couldn’t change it without consent from the diabetes team.

I’ll update on here what they suggest next week

Sorry I’ve not replied to this sooner. I’ve been on holiday.

Roche got back in touch and had decided I didn’t need to see the diabetes nurse to discuss and they’d sent 6mm cannula sets for use with my accu check insight and I’ve got to say it’s something I don’t worry too much about anymore.

Insertions are painless and I can feel such a difference even though it’s only 2mm shorter.

It seems like I’m not struggling as much as others on this thread but I was getting very anxious about it and a little sore so I hope this info helps somebody x

Reactions: porl69