Idiot Brains coming through

TonyTruthful

I need help again guys, girls, T1s and T2s

My nurse unavailable; could someone shed some light on my D Day please.

Woke up bg – 11

Sausage and egg sandwich with 6 units novorapid @ 7am = bg - 4.1 @ 10am / 6.2 @ 10.30am / 8.7 @ 12pm (had 3 cups of tea during the day)

Ham and cheese salad sandwich, bag of crisps 30gram, 4 digestive biscuits with 7 units of Novorapid = bg 15.4 @ 2pm / 11.3 @ 3pm / 3.40pm 10.7

Is this normal????

peace guys

Celtic.Piskie

Dislikes
Whole-wheat past and rice, tastes horrible. Cats, spiders, and people who think nick jonas is a musician.
Re: Idiot Brains comming through

I'd need a lot more than 7 units to deal with that evening meal.

A digestive biccy can have as much as 10g of carbs each, 15g for the crisps, 25g for the bread.

Just looks like you'l need to keep an eye on the biccies, as they add up and they can need an awful lot of insulin :)
For that, I'd take 9/10 units, depending on the bread / crisps etc.

The morning looks good though. :)
It's just a question od time and balance. Finding out what works for you when.

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.

My numbers would be much higher if I ate bread or biccies
Hana

acron^

Dislikes
Diabetes?

Tony,

What's your basal? Sounds like it might not be enough.

SophiaW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump

I was going to ask if your basal is enough and what time you're taking it. To me it looks like you're running out because your readings are rising in the morning even after your Novorapid has worn off. Have you tried a fasting test in the morning and afternoon to see how your readings hold during the day with basal insulin only?

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I think that both basal and bolus are out. :wink:
breakfast 2 slices of bread, 30g carb
you took 6 units
1unit for every 5g carb

at 3hours your level was fine
but by lunchtime when the bolus would have run out your level had risen.

For lunch you ate
2 slices of bread 30g
crisps say 15g (possibly more)
biscuits 40g
85 g carbs: 7units, just 1more than for breakfast.
1 unit for every 12 grams of carbs.
(Like Piskie I would need more insulin, but take it carefully if you decide to make any adjustments )

A basal test would be a good idea to do first, it's difficult to get mealtime ratios sorted if the basal isn't right.

John506

I think more than needing to change your insulin levels your need to change your diet.

Your breakfast - Unhealthy...

Your Lunch - Crisps and biscuits, unhealthy...

You are diabetic and you need to start eating better foods, I'm sorry but thats the only thing you can do if you want to live a healthy life..

TonyTruthful

Thanks for the replys.

I basal at 9 units levirmer. I was ok at 4.1 but don't like being at round 8 before dinner. Does most peoples bg do that or do people run at in the 4s all day?

My diet is rubbish. At DAFNE they teach you that you can everything :D

How many units do people inject for larger?

How many injections can you have in one day? say you had 7 snacks can you can have 7 injections?

Thanks guys

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
At DAFNE they teach you that you can everything

I hope your smilie, means that you are just being flippant.
Yes, dose adjustment enables you to eat more flexibly, and to be able to work out your insulin doses to 'cover' varying amounts and types of carbs. Nevertheless, you will find that larger doses are far less predictable and can result in higher blood glucose levels than expected. To much insulin can also lead to insulin resistance and it is a not unknown for people with type 1 to develop so much insulin resistance that they diabetes becomes more like type 2 (this is sometimes called double diabetes.)
I think that the idea of DAFNE is that you should be able to eat 'normally', and not be tied to the old fixed patterns of meal times and amounts. Common sense suggests that as a person with diabetes you try to at least eat a 'healthy diet' most of the time. The occasional non healthy food whether it's choc bar, sausage roll or packet of crisps won't do you much harm, but they're not good for anyone as the basis for a diet.

How many injections can you have in one day? say you had 7 snacks can you can have 7 injections?
No idea but you would be making things very complicated and I think it would make any sort of stable level difficult to achieve, the calculations could be confusing .You need to take into account how much insulin is already in your system, The duration of insulin action can be as much as 5 hours.If 2 doses ovelap, their effects overlap too. Too much insulin and the result can be ahypo.

This chart shows how an insulin pump calculates the insulin remaining after just 1 bolus. If you

Attachments

• insulin action graph.JPG
    insulin action graph.JPG
    33.4 KB · Views: 531

copepod

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I do find it useful to be able to have more than 3 bolus doses if eg I'm up for 20 hours (sometime happens when marshalling on adventure races) or flying across time zones, but I still try to eat some decent food amongst some junk - haven't done DAFNE, myself, but do adjust doses to what I'm eating, but a normal healthy diet eg fruit and veg every day, not too much fat etc still matters.