If you get a high reading before you are due to eat do you skip or delay your meal?

GM1986

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I’ve been monitoring my blood glucose levels and I’ve found myself skipping or delaying meals if my blood glucose isn’t within normal parameters. Is this the right thing to do? Say your normal bbq level is below 6 before eating but you get a reading of 7.4, can u eat anyway or should you wait until you get the lower reading?
Thanks for your help in advance.

Lobsang Tsultim

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I don't, no. If I delay eating a meal when I'm hungry, I get a liver dump, so my levels go up anyway (and the urge to have a carby snack gets stronger). Instead, I make extra sure I keep the carbs in that meal as low as possible. Doing this, I've found it's not uncommon for my 2hr reading to be lower than the pre-meal reading.

FatCatAnna

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Hmm, dishonest people that pretty well sums it up in a nutshell!
I'm the same as @TriciaWs - but on insulin - so I just calculate the correction (I like to be around 5-7 before a meal) - and whatever carbs I may consume. Also, one thing you can do @GM1986 - is to still eat - not too carby - and go for say a 20 minute stroll. I know many T2D's who do this, and swear by it (after eating a small slice of pie).

Attachments

• eatpie.jpeg
    eatpie.jpeg
    12.9 KB · Views: 55