If you start low do you spike lower

A

Anonymous

This may seem to be a daft question - hey, it probably is :D

Suppose my pre-meal reading is, say, 6.0 and I eat a meal that puts me at 8.0 after 2 hrs.

Then the following day my pre-meal reading is 5.0 and I eat the same meal again, will I be at 7.0 after 2 hrs?

I realise that there are other factors, like whether I do any exercise in those 2hrs, but all things being equal what would you expect? You see, I think that there may be a dampening effect occurring - as I have some insulin function perhaps - so that the rise to higher numbers gets progressively slower.

Therefore (perhaps and this is just conjecture) - the rise from 5.0 to 6.0 is achieved with less carb intake than the rise from 6.0 to 7.0 . Does that make any sense, as my numbers suggest that even when I'm quite low (I start a lot of meals in the 4's) I still get a 2hr reading between 7.0 and 8.0 - as I do when I start in the 6's

S

Grazer

It's a very good question. A lot of people suggest that a specific food intake will raise you by, say, 2 points. So a 5 should be 7 and a 7 go to 9.
Doesn't seem to work like that for me, so I think your theory may be right. I tend to end up at the same end number for a given meal regardless (within reason) of where I start.

Bertie

I like your logic and wish I had the answer for you other than to say...

...With all the different factors that can effect your readings, I think it's really good that you are following your meter to check your results - it shows commitment and dedication and on this basis the outcome will always be success, because you are trying to do the best you can to get it right. :thumbup: