Ill, not eating but bG goes eeekk

tazzle

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
I have only been testing blood sugars for a matter of weeks to get a hand on some rather "high but not diabetic level yet ( well except for the odd one) blood sugars :crazy: so am still getting quite a variation.

Some things really surprise me.... like cider hardly affecting level at all but an apparently innocent fish pie, veg and half a pineapple getting me up to 12.8 :shock: :shock: :shock:

but although I had read that illness can put up BG I did not realise quite so much.

I had a night of vomitting christmas day night :( and the following day ate nothing, just sipped water.
This morning I had one banana........ and BG shot up to 8.5 :eek: . Not much in the great scheme of things but when a "normal" reading is not supposed to go above 7.8 it seems like quite high.

I know its probably the clever body pretecting me from starving and dumping glucose to keep me going...... just did not expect it to be so high :eh:

Fraddycat

Hi Tazzle, sorry you are not feeling so great, unfortunately when you are not feeling well your BGs go up ... its a fact of life. But I personally try to cut back on my carbohydrate consumption because my body turns carbs really quickly into sugar and raises my levels. So if fish pie is topped by mashed potato I would not eat it, because the mash would shoot up my BG.

I also could not eat pineapple or banana as both would really make my BGs skyrocket. I know that fruit is quick food and is billed by the heath care professionals as healthy but I don't eat much at all now, only blueberries or strawberries which don't seem to have such a negative effect. For quick grab food I might have ham rolled up or cooked chicken or peperami, for sweet stuff a square of dark chocolate, an atkins bar or greek yog with berries and chopped walnuts.

tazzle

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
thanks fraddycat ........ thats the things I am certainly taking note of...... have been keeping a chart to help identify the culprits. I had clocked that potatos were way baaaaaaaad for me as is white bread, just been looging my "normal" intake for first 7 -10 days then experimenting on what I need to cut back and by how much.

eg I have relaced white bread with crackers now and am looking for burgens soy & linseed bread as some say that is ok for them, see if that is ok for me.

iIam also trying to find out what amount of carbs I need to limit myself to in the way of fruit ... partly to see if I can use some of them in smoothies for breakfast instead of cereal.

I think its going to be quite a change from one version of a "healthy" diet (high fibre, loads fruit and veg, low fat) to another :wink:

body has felt good on the days I have low carbed :clap:

Fraddycat

That's the thing Tazzle, its a complete change, and at first it messes with your head, but then you start to feel GREAT and keeping things under control keeps you feeling GREAT! I have either an Atkins or diet protein shake for breakfast, or occasionally greek yog with berries and chopped walnuts. I don't think I could have a smoothie every day but it might be a once a week treat. If I am out and about I might have a bacon omelette or just bacon and eggs with mushroom and tomato.

I don't really eat bread at all, I sometimes have ryvita thins or matzo crackers but most of the time nothing bread based. If I want to have pate or cheese I might wrap it in an iceberg lettuce leaf or just eat it!

tazzle

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
protein shake might be great for those rushed brekkie mornings :wink:
i got a tub of greek yog and whissed up with berries... but it did not go down very well :sick:

might not miss bread as much as potatoes ... yet to investigate cauli mash / rice :wink: ..... saw a recipie for cauli base for a pizza...looked interesting !

bernie.freeman

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
selfish people
You could try a sugar free jelly with a nice dollop of double cream ....yummmmmmmmmmmmmmm

tazzle

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
oh yes, I do like sugar free jellies :D .......... just did not have the energy to even make one up yesterday, peeling a banana seemed just soooooooo much easier :wink:

feeling better today and have managed to eat crackers and cheese..... twice :thumbup: :thumbup:

BG much better........6.2 and 6.4 when tested :clap:

just having a low cal / carb hot choccy before bed now !

princesskerry

I'm still trying to get on top of my blood sugars also, but I too have found eating more crackers instead of break was better for my blood sugar levels too.

The thing I really want though is rice pudding, so I think I may have to look into making a version and experiment with the ingredients to see if I can adapt one ot my requirements.