1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2020 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Prediabetes Illness as prediabetic

Discussion in 'Ask A Question' started by AngiH, Feb 23, 2019.

1. AngiH

AngiH Prediabetes · Well-Known Member

Evening all,
    Now I'm aware that diabetics really can suffer when they come down with flu, colds etc and it's worse than a non-diabetic. I'm just wondering if the same goes for us pre-diabetics? I am never ill, and last Sunday night I started with a bad chest, I've had it all week and today ended up in hospital with suspected clot in my lung after coughing up blood.....thankfully it wasn't and it's viral broncilitis. But I've been floored by this, and struggle with my breathlessness just walking slowly.
    Not wanting sympathy, just wondering if preD could be making things worse. Thank you as always....

• Like Like x 1
  2. Listlad

Listlad Prediabetes · BANNED

I have had the worst colds ( if thats what they were ) in my life, this last couple of years. By a huge margin. I had a cough that lasted nigh on 3 months going into and coming out of Christmas. I do not know why. There could of course be a link. When younger and very much younger I was very much immune to that sort of thing.

It too went to my chest.

• Like Like x 1
    #2 Listlad, Feb 23, 2019 at 7:55 PM
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2019
  3. Antje77

Antje77 LADA · Moderator
    Staff Member

As far as I know that has to do with bg levels being very hard or impossible to cotrol when ill. That gives you the malaise of high bg on top of the illness, plus high bg making it much harder for your body to heal and fight the illness.
    But i'm really not sure about this.

4. AngiH

Ah thank you, I didn't really know the reasons behind it but makes sense.

5. DCUKMod

DCUKMod I reversed my Type 2 · Master
    Staff Member Administrator

Personally, I can't say I've noticed anything different. I'm fortunate, having worked at very close quarters, in the health care environment, involving lots of children for years, I swear I have been exposed to almost every germ or bug known to man, and either had it (at least once - rubella twice), or my immune system has beefed up enough to see things off.

These days, I'll sometimes have a sandpaper threat for a day or so, then I'm back to normal. That said, my OH is just coming out of a rotten cold at the moment, which, being in a very hot climate right now, has been a bit miserable.

I hope my words don't bite me back over the next stuff few days.

I hope you start peeking up soon @AngiH

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. briped

briped Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Not in my experience. I've had bad colds 20 years before I was diagnosed. One in 1983, which was so bad I can still remember it, but after working with toddlers for some years till '97 I've had colds, flus and that sort of thing only very rarely. Those kids must really have given my immune defence a kick up it's bum.
    You just have to give your viral bronchitis time to heal. I had it - again back in the 80es, and do remember barely being able to walk 3 meters without seriously gasping for breath, so you really have my sympathy. I've also tried the lung embolisms thing. Not fun either, and they can be easily confused, which I did and didn't seek help till a couple of weeks later :banghead: Good thing that you got it checked out so soon.

• Like Like x 1
  7. AngiH

Thank you all, just bad luck then. I am taking it easy and hopefully a few days I'll be back to normal. Glad it's not related to the preD.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    • Hug Hug x 1
  8. Alison Campbell

Alison Campbell Prediabetes · Well-Known Member

Having a bad cold or chest infection is the only time I get symptoms of diabetes.

• Like Like x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook