Prediabetes Illness as prediabetic

AngiH

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening all,
Now I'm aware that diabetics really can suffer when they come down with flu, colds etc and it's worse than a non-diabetic. I'm just wondering if the same goes for us pre-diabetics? I am never ill, and last Sunday night I started with a bad chest, I've had it all week and today ended up in hospital with suspected clot in my lung after coughing up blood.....thankfully it wasn't and it's viral broncilitis. But I've been floored by this, and struggle with my breathlessness just walking slowly.
Not wanting sympathy, just wondering if preD could be making things worse. Thank you as always....

Reactions: gemma_T1

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I have had the worst colds ( if thats what they were ) in my life, this last couple of years. By a huge margin. I had a cough that lasted nigh on 3 months going into and coming out of Christmas. I do not know why. There could of course be a link. When younger and very much younger I was very much immune to that sort of thing.

It too went to my chest.

Last edited:
Reactions: AngiH

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Now I'm aware that diabetics really can suffer when they come down with flu, colds etc
As far as I know that has to do with bg levels being very hard or impossible to cotrol when ill. That gives you the malaise of high bg on top of the illness, plus high bg making it much harder for your body to heal and fight the illness.
But i'm really not sure about this.

AngiH

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
As far as I know that has to do with bg levels being very hard or impossible to cotrol when ill. That gives you the malaise of high bg on top of the illness, plus high bg making it much harder for your body to heal and fight the illness.
But i'm really not sure about this.
Ah thank you, I didn't really know the reasons behind it but makes sense.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Personally, I can't say I've noticed anything different. I'm fortunate, having worked at very close quarters, in the health care environment, involving lots of children for years, I swear I have been exposed to almost every germ or bug known to man, and either had it (at least once - rubella twice), or my immune system has beefed up enough to see things off.

These days, I'll sometimes have a sandpaper threat for a day or so, then I'm back to normal. That said, my OH is just coming out of a rotten cold at the moment, which, being in a very hot climate right now, has been a bit miserable.

I hope my words don't bite me back over the next stuff few days.

I hope you start peeking up soon @AngiH

briped

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Not in my experience. I've had bad colds 20 years before I was diagnosed. One in 1983, which was so bad I can still remember it, but after working with toddlers for some years till '97 I've had colds, flus and that sort of thing only very rarely. Those kids must really have given my immune defence a kick up it's bum.
You just have to give your viral bronchitis time to heal. I had it - again back in the 80es, and do remember barely being able to walk 3 meters without seriously gasping for breath, so you really have my sympathy. I've also tried the lung embolisms thing. Not fun either, and they can be easily confused, which I did and didn't seek help till a couple of weeks later :banghead: Good thing that you got it checked out so soon.

AngiH

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you all, just bad luck then. I am taking it easy and hopefully a few days I'll be back to normal. Glad it's not related to the preD.

Alison Campbell

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Having a bad cold or chest infection is the only time I get symptoms of diabetes.