Illness

Tracie1212

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hope someone can advise on this please.

Found myself very unwell with sickness and upset stomach over 48 hour period, my predicament was being sick with my levels dropping. Horrible having to force myself to eat in-between bouts of sickness. My level of 3 was difficult to maintain even with orange juice, jelly sweets and cereal bars. What should I take when this happens. I've been using Toujeo as background insulin since June and find this holds my levels down which is good when Im not ill but when I want them to be higher than 3 particularly when ill find it very difficult to get level to move.. Had already done daily injection of 23 units before sickness took over. Left message for DSN but no reply I wanted to know if should reduce background insulin and by how much?

Still not out of the woods yet but never want to be in that situation again.

Has any one else found themselves in this situation and what did you do?

Thanks

Tracie

Reactions: jhyb

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hope someone can advise on this please.

Found myself very unwell with sickness and upset stomach over 48 hour period, my predicament was being sick with my levels dropping. Horrible having to force myself to eat in-between bouts of sickness. My level of 3 was difficult to maintain even with orange juice, jelly sweets and cereal bars. What should I take when this happens. I've been using Toujeo as background insulin since June and find this holds my levels down which is good when Im not ill but when I want them to be higher than 3 particularly when ill find it very difficult to get level to move.. Had already done daily injection of 23 units before sickness took over. Left message for DSN but no reply I wanted to know if should reduce background insulin and by how much?

Still not out of the woods yet but never want to be in that situation again.

Has any one else found themselves in this situation and what did you do?

Thanks

Tracie

Hi Tracie - Sorry to hear you're having a rough time of it at the moment. Whilst bumping your post up the lists for some T1 support, I thought I'd post these sick day rules that you could find helpful, perhaps.

http://www.nhslanarkshire.org.uk/Se...Sick Day Rules for Type 1 Diabetes Oct 16.pdf

I do hope you perk up soon.

Reactions: kev-w

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bigotry, reliance on unsupported 'facts', unkindness, unfairness.
Hi Tracie,
So sorry you’ve been afflicted by this nasty sickness and hope it goes away soon!
Do you have any friends or family who could come and keep an eye on you while it lasts?
I wonder if you have, or have tried peppermint tea? With a few spoons of sugar in it. Another stomach-friendly one is ginger - even better if you can boil some root ginger and add sugar to up the carb.
Good luck!

Reactions: kitedoc

Kittycat_7_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,
Sorry your feeling poorly, do you have any glucose tablets useful if your low.
Hope you feel better very soon.
Take care

Reactions: kitedoc

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
Hi @Tracie1212, Sorry to hear of your illness. I am surprised that your DSN has not already discussed a sick day plan with you as part of your diabetes education. I find the plan referred to by @DCUKMod make good sense. It reminds me of a jingle I heard from a diabetes educator: "Never smile at a crocodile, And never stop your insulin".
In the past I considered myself lucky to be prescribed Levemir, which having a shorter duration (??24 hours) made adjustments much easier compared to what I have heard from those prescribed Tresiba.
As part of my experience and not as professional advice or opinion:
I recall the advice given me for children or myself with tummy upset was to avoid acidic things like OJ, and solids etc.
There are gastro preparations like Gastrolyte which are useful and the standby of flat lemonade (not lo cal or sugar free).
A glass of lemonade heated for say, 10 seconds in the microwave drives out the bubbles, or letting the glass stand for an hour.
Taking small sips often worked better than large 'gulps'.
Of course getting hold of your DSN a.s.a.p. is a priority.
I was told also that if I was having difficulty keeping fluids up and have gone more than 16 to 20 hours without passing urine that I would need to get to a hospital for i.v.fluids.
My Best Wishes to you for a speedy recovery