illness

VashtiB

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello everyone,

Just a warning- not a very upbeat thread.

Over the last week and a bit I've had a cold/flu. Basically did nothing over last weekend but went to work this week as usual- stressful job and stressful time for us at work- heavy workload so didn't feel I could justify time off.

Well my blood sugar levels have been higher- in the 6's and high 5's- which I understand and expected but I tested for ketones (blood test) and they have been going down- now 1.0- usually about 3.0 and I've put on .6 of a kilo.

My carbs are less than 10 grams a day. I am still doing 16/8 most days- I really can't understand it. I just feel my body is broken and I try so hard. I am really really careful about carbs. My blood sugars are still okay- not great maybe but not even the high 6s so why am I out of ketosis and now when I get over this wretched cold/flu I get to look forward to the keto flu again-don't know what I could be doing differently. I have cut down on my exercise- well not done anything this week as really have no energy at all. I'm feeling hungry again so that's not great either. The only thing I can think of is maybe I've had les fat than usual (plenty of fat stored in my body though lol).

Just feeling tired, sick and dispirited.

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Sorry you are not well. If we are brewing any sort of infection, going through an infection, getting over an infection our blood glucose just doesn't play ball. You need to accept that and ride it out. It is VERY annoying, but it is what it is.

Look after yourself and I hope you feel better soon.

Reactions: jjraak

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
As a type 1 who has been injected with steroids and a bit sleep deprived due to pain, my insulin resistance is through the roof and I am using 150% of usual insulin needs. This is just to illustrate that your body is working hard to keep your blood sugars in a healthy range.
Don't be dispirited with your body. IT is just responding to the stress of illness and won't have any long term impact provided you keep up your very good habits (low carb/keto and IF).