I'm a lost cause! Can any one help please!!

snurger

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hello! I'm new to the Diabetic 2 Forum, but not new to diabetes 2.
I've been diagnosed for over a year now, and am on 4-Metformin tablets and 1xPioglitazone tablets each day.
I'm 61, 5'7" tall and morbidly obese at 18-stones. Shamefully, although I take my medication compliantly, I still don't eat properly - and frequently lapse into binging on puddings, sweets and chocolate!!
I don't think I have a death wish, although those closest to me seem to think I have. I just cannot get to grips with the necessary discipline for a proper dietry and exercise regime.
Am I alone in my antics?
Can anyone help with some tips or advice!
I really would appreciate your constructive comments.
Hope to hear from you soon
Thanks,
Geoff.

nilemthakrar

Hi Geoff

I am a mother of T2 18 year old daughter, and I can tell you that you are not the only one feeling this way. My daughter is on insulin (novorapid x 3 and lantus x1). I try to cook healthy for her at home, but I have been told by people they have seen her drinking milkshakes and eating things she shouln't be outside.

I have now come compromised with her that if she doen't be naughty, and don't have this things that she shouldn't outside, then she can have 2 treats each month, and she can eat what ever she wants.

We have 2 set dates. the 10th and 24th.
I will allow her any one sweet stuff she wants, that can be milk shake, ice cream, cakes whatever.

So far it is working well and she looks forward to these 2 days. I am not sure if I am doing the right thing here, but it has helped with her not eating sweet stuff every day.

Hope this helps.

foxglove

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Spiders - especially the big black ones!
Hi Geoff, I well know this feeling I was exactly like you and posted the same thoughts on this forum.
I couldn't get my head round the carbs thing and it was only when I decided to get myself a little carb counter book (easily bought on line) which also gives lots of other info such as calories and fibre etc. that I was able to "see" where I was going.
Do you not like cooking for yourself? I wonder if you live on your own and therefore find it difficult to sort out a good eating regime? Do keep trying as I am sure you will FEEL soo much better in yourself if you can get things sorted.

anniep

Geoff you obviously want to get control of your life or you wouldn't be on here asking. That's a good first step, there is lots of advice and information in the threads.

Do you test you blood glucose levels? That is a good place to start finding out what is going on in your body.

The monitors have some good advise for newbies to the site, and no doubt they will post it at some stage. But basically it is not just the apparant sweet stuff that you have to be careful with, all the startchy carbohydtrates are an issue for us diabetics. That is the bread, potatoes, rice.

If you eat meat when not try a meal that leaves out the carbs but allows yoiu to eat a smuch meat as you like and vegetables - but watch carrots peas a sweet corn some of us find them problems. A testing kit would help find out what suits your body.

If you are desperate for sweet stuff try a sugar free jelly (you can buy them ready made for emergencies) or 85% cocoa dark chocolate, it may not be cadbury's dairy milk but it hits a spot. There are several versions, of it, divine make one so do green and blacks I have seen a fair trade one in the co-op

For exercise why not try walking every day even a small amount.

Nilemthakrer - if it works then you are doing ok, it is hard thinking you can never have a treat again so if you can manage it then that's great. We have to find our ways and means somehow

jane22

Hi Snurger
I know exactly how you feel as I was out of control until this year. I was taking the same drugs as you and felt so very hungry all the time, all I wanted were carbs and the sweeter the better. When my BG levels rose alarmingly my nurse suggested a new tactic - Byetta and I said I would think about it. Well that was a mistake as I should have bitten her hand off and said yes please there and then. Anyway when I finally came to my senses and said yes and was packed off to see a consultant, she was just fab and told me to stop beating myself up about the weight etc.Then she changed my life by prescribing Byetta. The pioglitazone in particular made me so hungry all the time and now that feeling of wanting to eat all the time has gone it's wonderful and I have a chance to eat sensibly which I am doing. Now the reason I'm telling you all this is perhaps it is something you could look into and ask about. You have to be overweight and unable to control your glucose with tablets etc. My Hba1c was 7.5 when it was first suggested to me and went up to 10.5 before I was told it was Byetta or insulin. Now with this drug it is 6 and I can't tell you how much better I feel. Apparently it doesn't work for everyone but I am so glad I tried it. Whatever you do Snurger you really must go back to your nurse or doc and explain how it is for you and ask for more help.

Dippy3103

No you are not alone. Please don't be offended by this, but it probably took years of bad habits to hit 18 stone. So it is going to take a while to get used to the new habits.

If a sweet tooth is your problem, find some sweet things that fit in with it. There are loads of ideas in the foodie bit on here.
I am still struggling ten months in. We are after all human.

As others have said you must want to or you wouldn't be on here.

snurger

Type of diabetes
Type 2
My sincere thanks to:
Nilemthakrar,
Foxglove,
AnnieP,
Foxglove, and
Dippy3103
for taking the trouble to provide me with your words of advice and encouragement.

I have certainly taken note of what has been said, and I have had a wander round the site as suggested, and it's heartening to understand that I am not alone!!

Thank you so much, and my very best wishes to you.

Geoff (snurger)

Dippy3103

Geoff,

There is always someone here to give you heartfelt advice and tell you that you are so far from alone.

It is tough, personally I see the diabetes as the wake up call that I needed but didn't really want! I don't really have a sweet tooth, my major downfalls are bread, cheese, crisps and red wine. I also love olives, but seem to get away with those.

Perhaps we should start a thread for all of us cuddly members to share our weekly/monthly loss. What do you think?

Anyway, all the best with it.

Dx