I'm fine with injecting, but not with testing??

D

Deleted member 444941

You need to talk to your care team about alternative test sites, so that you can safely test and still write. It shouldnt be a case of either or. As a very long term diabetic, believe me that it is not an insurmountable problem. The facilitese available are far better now, than sixty years ago when I was diagnosed (one system, no choice).

Shaul Dror

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I struggle to test my blood sugars, I haven't checked them for a few months. (Don't lecture me). When I prick my fingers, it doesn't just hurt for a few minutes or an hour, it hurts for 2-3 days, which makes it harder for me to write. (I want to be a writer), writing is my escape from my mental health and diabetes. If I can't write then I start getting depressed and then forget about even injecting my insulin because it just takes over me.

I've begged for a cgm, they won't let me, even though it's funded. They told me I could have one, they promised me in fact, then I get told it's just for pregnant people with diabetes? Why?

They want me to test 8-9 times a day!! What should I do? I can't lose my writing as I'll just breakdown into depression and anxiety and it will just take over everything! I don't want to go back into that dark place, writing is the only thing I have ever been good at! What do I do?!?!

There is a perfect and inexpensive way to save your fingertips.
Your fingers will heal up in days and you will get your sensation back.
The Genteel gentle lancing device is perfect for this.

Attachments

• Diabetes we can help.png
    Diabetes we can help.png
    523.4 KB · Views: 190
Last edited by a moderator:

Shaul Dror

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Nothing wrong with Accu-Chek Multillix or Fastclix lancing devices either.

Nothing wrong with them but they don't compare to the Genteel.
Genteel is much more painless and also perfectly suited to alternative site testing.

Last edited by a moderator:

KibbyRose

I recommend Accu Check Fast Clix where you can adjust the depth of the prick. The lancets come in a barrel-shaped plastic container so you don't have to insert the lancet for every use. I use the same needle for long periods, then turn a dial for a new one. This is the only one I have used for eight years. Good luck!

bambee3

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Avocado, Olives, Prunes,
I struggle to test my blood sugars, I haven't checked them for a few months. (Don't lecture me). When I prick my fingers, it doesn't just hurt for a few minutes or an hour, it hurts for 2-3 days, which makes it harder for me to write. (I want to be a writer), writing is my escape from my mental health and diabetes. If I can't write then I start getting depressed and then forget about even injecting my insulin because it just takes over me.

I've begged for a cgm, they won't let me, even though it's funded. They told me I could have one, they promised me in fact, then I get told it's just for pregnant people with diabetes? Why?

They want me to test 8-9 times a day!! What should I do? I can't lose my writing as I'll just breakdown into depression and anxiety and it will just take over everything! I don't want to go back into that dark place, writing is the only thing I have ever been good at! What do I do?!?!

Hi Alex,
I was taught and also taught my patients to use the side of the finger to test as your nerve endings are in your finger tips and by using them you run the risk of nerve damage to them. I am not saying that pricking the side is any less painful but there is less risk if any of damaging the nerve endings in your fingers.

I am curious why they want you to test 8-9 times per day and ? who is they?. Even when I have been very ill I still don't test that many times, even when I have been in hospital. I use a pump now and only test fasting, before each meal, snacks if it is less than 2 hrs since my last test, if I am unwell, and if I wake in the early hours of the morning, this morning I woke at 3.20am and was low at 3.2.

As per a cgm I have recently had the chance to use one and think they are invaluable. My first one picked up 18 lows that I was unaware of. The only thing you need to be aware of is the result they show is different than that of a finger prick test. I was told to think of it like a train with carriages going up a hill. The engine is your finger prick result and the end carriage is your cgm trying to catch up to the engine, so there is a slight variation. It is still a good guide, and if your results are indicating a high or low you are then advised to do a finger prick to check it before giving any treatment/intervention. I only got mine because my DEd contacted me about the reps for Abbot being in town and they were giving free monitors to those who attended their ed session, it included your first cgm sensor for free and then you have to pay for them.

I don't understand if they promised you one and it is funded why they are now not willing to give you one. Can you approach your doctor??? or DN???? as not sure which one told you. I know the system is different in England, I am thankful that in Australia it is not perfect but better.

Providence 62

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not riding my bike
@Alex_B have you considered appealing against the decision not to let you have a Libre? As you have special requirements (i.e. being able to type so you can write and work and stay healthy) they may look at the decision again and hopefully approve the expenditure? Have a look at your local health authority web page and you should get some details on how to initiate the process. Best of luck. (I am assuming that you are in the UK).

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Hi @Alex_B please make an urgent appointment with your hospital team and tell them how you're feeling. Explain to them your frustrations and concerns and what it is that bothers you. Tell them that you want their help but that you're struggling, and ask them if they can help you.

I think what you're presenting is something that they will help with, and I think telling them that will have an effect. For now, we know that you know about the issues of not testing, but please share that with the team again and push them to prescribe libre for you.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Alex,
I was taught and also taught my patients to use the side of the finger to test as your nerve endings are in your finger tips and by using them you run the risk of nerve damage to them. I am not saying that pricking the side is any less painful but there is less risk if any of damaging the nerve endings in your fingers.

I am curious why they want you to test 8-9 times per day and ? who is they?. Even when I have been very ill I still don't test that many times, even when I have been in hospital. I use a pump now and only test fasting, before each meal, snacks if it is less than 2 hrs since my last test, if I am unwell, and if I wake in the early hours of the morning, this morning I woke at 3.20am and was low at 3.2.

As per a cgm I have recently had the chance to use one and think they are invaluable. My first one picked up 18 lows that I was unaware of. The only thing you need to be aware of is the result they show is different than that of a finger prick test. I was told to think of it like a train with carriages going up a hill. The engine is your finger prick result and the end carriage is your cgm trying to catch up to the engine, so there is a slight variation. It is still a good guide, and if your results are indicating a high or low you are then advised to do a finger prick to check it before giving any treatment/intervention. I only got mine because my DEd contacted me about the reps for Abbot being in town and they were giving free monitors to those who attended their ed session, it included your first cgm sensor for free and then you have to pay for them.

I don't understand if they promised you one and it is funded why they are now not willing to give you one. Can you approach your doctor??? or DN???? as not sure which one told you. I know the system is different in England, I am thankful that in Australia it is not perfect but better.

I believe that some CCG's criteria are that the potential user is testing very frequently throughout the day, in order to manage their condition. I have heard others mention this, but haven't trawled back through the forum to find posts to confirm it.

MrsBRW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I started testing a few years ago - after a cold winter - just on the palm of my hand. Think it’s called the heal on your hand. Bleeds easily. Can squeeze it without pain. It’s a big area too. But try ask your diabetic nurse for a Libre trial.

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
@Alex_B As you have special requirements (i.e. being able to type so you can write and work and stay healthy)
I cant see the CCGs seeing that as a special requirement. In my case it was the 8+ tests per day that swung it for me.

Down-Jai 001

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I may not be a practicing journalist, but I still type a lot... Where do you prick your finger? Right in the middle of the tip by any chance? Because that's where the most nerve endings are and that's the bit you type with. I always use the side of my finger, with less nerve endings, and it doesn't take a pounding when I write. Off to the side of my left indexfinger I actually have a little pad of callus due to testing, and it doesn't bother me at all when I write, it's so far off to the side. Just guessing here, but I know a prick in the middle of the tip would indeed bother me for days too. Just sounded recognisable. If you're already doing that then I'm sorry, I don't have any other answer than an ultra fine needle either...
I too prick my fingers on the side and have been doing for the last 20 years. There is a time when it really hurts. I run a gentle cold water over it and it seems to reduce the pain.