I'm new and scared!

Heather1

Hi everyone.

I am really worried.

I have been told by my gp i have pre diabetes and i dont know what to make of it. they havent given me any information. I was told this last summer but now i have lots of symptoms and i am really scared.
i have blurred vision, mainly when i am reading or on the computer, i'm exhausted all the time, i have headache and feel drained, i need to wee more than usual, i am always thirsty, i have constant water infections and kidney pain, i have constant itching down there, i get pins and needles in my arms alots and my feet are always like ice blocks, even with socks on.

I know that changing your diet is supposed to help reverse the symptoms, but i did this a good few months ago, before these symptoms appeared.

i dont really know why am writing this or what i hope to gain from it, but i'm just really scared.

i also forgot to mention my dad has type1 diabetes

Thanks for reading

Heather

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
Heather
As I've written on another thread, I have doubts as to whether there is such a thing as pre-diabetes. I think it's probably just an early stage in diabetes and if anyone is told they have it, it's a good idea to go on as if they had a diagnosis of diabetes. That is in controlling their blood sugar. A blood sugar meter is a useful thing to have. The NHS is unlikely to provide one, but the major suppliers all have websites and tthe meters aren't very expensive. The cost of the disposables can add up though and they are cheaper from the suppliers direct than from the pharmacies. ( I use Abbott Diabetes Care and a Freestyle Mini Meter)
A non-diabetic has a blood sugar that doesn't stray away from about 5mmol/l for long and the nearer you can keep to it, the better your health will be.
The next thing to know is that it's not just sugar that causes blood glucose. Starchy carbohydrates do so too and if you control them and sugars in your diet and monitor what's happening, you canget on top of this thing and possibly reverse it.
Along with a meter, a book of food values, such as the Collins Little gem calorie Counter. ( a tiny and inexpensive book)
will heelp you to understand what foods affect your blood glucose and by how much. then of course there's all the information on this forum
Hana

Synonym

Dislikes
Having no energy as this is so limiting.
Hello Heather and welcome to the forum. :)

Hana has given you very good advice. 8)

I note that you say you have changed your diet so perhaps you would let us know what you are eating so that we can see if there is anything that you could tweak. For example what did you eat yesterday and the day before?

cocacola

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
celery, not eating chocolate
hanadr said:
The next thing to know is that it's not just sugar that causes blood glucose. Starchy carbohydrates do so too and if you control them and sugars in your diet and monitor what's happening, you can get on top of this thing and possibly reverse it.
Along with a meter, a book of food values, such as the Collins Little gem calorie Counter. ( a tiny and inexpensive book) will help you to understand what foods affect your blood glucose and by how much. then of course there's all the information on this forum
Hana
Hana don't you mean CARB counter? Just got my Collins Little Gem Carb counter, only £3 from Amazon.
I also bought an Abbott Freestyle Freedom Lite from Asda for only £7, unfortunately only 10 test strips. But it has helped me on my way to finding out what makes my BG go up, so I can thoroughly recommend testing. Most pharmacies will also do a BG check for you in the shop. I know my local Asda does.
Heather try not to worry too much and make an appointment to see your GP to put your mind at ease.

Heather1

If there is no such thing as prediabetes, then why would my GP tell me i have it?

my diet pretty much consists of lots of fruit an veg, chicken, fish, i have cut out tea and coffee to one cup a day. i drink copious amounts of water. I have also cut out bread and pasta due to IBS. I dont like red meat so i dont eat that. So basically i have cut out all the bad things like chocolate, sweets, crisps n fizzy pop.

I also do regular exercise and attend the gym a couple times a week

Thanks for your replies, i will see my GP, i am just really scared.
x

cocacola

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Heather1 said:
If there is no such thing as prediabetes, then why would my GP tell me i have it?
Heather I think GPs class prediabetes as any fasting readings between 6-7.
7 onwards is usually classed as diabetic.
I'm new to this too, so I am sure more experienced members will correct me if I am wrong :mrgreen:

Aubergenie

Dislikes
Weetabix, Twilight, Katherine Jenkins,
Heather1 said:

To scare the Bejaysus out of you :lol:

In all seriousness, You may be showing the early stages of diabetes, and your GP wants you to change a few things to ensure you dont develop diabetes. Although, having read your list of symptoms, if you presented to my A&E I'd do a diabetes blood test.

I'm glad that your Dr is warning you about this though, as I had those symptoms for six months before anyone would test me for diabetes. (A long story, for another posting)

Let us know how you get on.

C

catherinecherub

Hi Heather,

Pre diabetes does exist,

http://www.diabetes.co.uk/pre-diabetes-faqs.html

I can understand you being scared and you need to find a way of eating that is not a chore, you enjoy and do not feel deprived.
Only you can turn this round and make sure that you are in the best possible health and without the symptoms. It may seem like a daunting challenge for you but there is support here and am sending you (((((hugs))))).
Ask as many questions as you like, there is always someone here to answer.

Take care,

Catherine.

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
cocacola
the Calorie Counter lists carbs as well. It has the protein,carbs, fat and fibre as well as the calories. I've had mine a while and it was about £5.
For more detailed information, I have the Calorie,Carb and Fat bible. Which is updated annually. I got this through my local Freecycle group.
Hana

Debloubed

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
When people say 'Pacific' instead of 'Specific' :-)
I have the calorie counter and the carb counter Gem books and the Calorie one suits me best as it lists approx portion size for the carbs (1 medium apple, 90g peas, 1 slice bread, etc) so if you are out and about and don't have your digital scales in your handbag you can make an educated guess about the carbs in the portion of food you are eating - not perfect, but works for me at times :D the carb book lists everything in 100g portion sizes which is great if you have the scales for more exact measuring/calculating :D

cocacola

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
hanadr said:
cocacola
the Calorie Counter lists carbs as well. It has the protein,carbs, fat and fibre as well as the calories. I've had mine a while and it was about £5.
For more detailed information, I have the Calorie,Carb and Fat bible. Which is updated annually. I got this through my local Freecycle group.
Hana
Thanks Hana, I only have the Carb counter, so that will be another book I need to buy :lol: