Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Tomato - 3
Aubergine - 2
Cheese - 1
Tea/coffee - 5
Bovril - 1
Almonds - 2

I've been trying to see how low I can go today, after my carby weekend. I'm going to see if I can get to anything that I recognise as ketosis and whether it makes me lose weight. I have bought some pee sticks, but am not sure when's the best time to test for ketones.

Last edited by a moderator:

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The best symptoms of ketosis I get, are these:
Waking up feeling more refreshed than usual
Having constant levels of energy, all day. Like a slow burn.
Better sustained concentration.
I get hungry, instead of getting ravenous
I don't mind getting up to fetch my glasses after I've settled down on the sofa.
My hands and feet are toasty warm, and I don't feel the cold.

Of course, you may get different symptoms, but you might recognise some of them...?

I think @Spiker said once that ketosis is more like a sliding scale rather than a switch, so the symptoms may start very subtly.

Reactions: 2 people

RosieLKH

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
So, tested my pee today with ketostix and it came out at the middle purple colour - so 4 or 40 or whatever you look at - which probably means I've got some ketones but am not in ketosis - and I won't be for the foreseeable future since I went out for coffee with my mum today and got tempted to have an iced latte with amaretto syrup. By my reckoning that's probably in the 30s carbwise already! I tested my BS when I got home and it was 6.2, so no massive harm done I guess.

RosieLKH

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Week 7 Tues 24/6/14
  • carbs - 39 most of which was that iced latte!
  • cals - 1225
  • BG - 6.2

RosieLKH

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Week 7 Weds 25/6/14
  • carbs - 34 - I'm finding it difficult to keep below 30 this week - I fancied something Chinese tasting so added some hoisin & soy sauce - not a lot but enough add about 10 to this figure.
  • cals - 1383 - likewise, I'm finding it hard to stick to 1100 cals and personally I'm blaming it on Big Brother because if I stay up later I then fancy some sort of snack so am likely to have a slice of cheese, or tonight it was some natural yoghurt. Maybe I should leave dinner until a bit later?
  • BG - 7.6 before bed, probably an hour after yoghurt.
I have lost another 1 lb though.

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
So, tested my pee today with ketostix and it came out at the middle purple colour - so 4 or 40 or whatever you look at - which probably means I've got some ketones but am not in ketosis - and I won't be for the foreseeable future since I went out for coffee with my mum today and got tempted to have an iced latte with amaretto syrup. By my reckoning that's probably in the 30s carbwise already! I tested my BS when I got home and it was 6.2, so no massive harm done I guess.
Why do you think that? you're in ketosis as far as I'm concerned
one thing urin is very inaccurate and atkins advised not using strips in his later works
but in fact 4/40 is too high, Around 1.5 – 3 mmol/L is what’s called optimal ketosis and is recommended for maximum weight loss.

http://www.dietdoctor.com/lose-weight-by-achieving-optimal-ketosis

RosieLKH

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Week 7 Thurs 26/6/14

I'm hanging my head in shame - :oops::oops::oops::oops:
I fell off the wagon big time! I considered not posting. I considered lying. Then I thought - it's just me I cheat, so I'm 'fessing up to myself (and anyone not bored to death by my thread and still reading).

So here goes:
  • carbs - 161
  • cals - 2946
  • BG - 5.6 before lunch - didn't test again.
So, what happened was - I went and bought 2 cakes and ate both after my dinner. Then not content with that I snacked on loads of nuts and then had lots of natural yogurt into which I put sugar. I went from stupid to self-destruct mode in the blink of an eye.

Oh well, it's done now and I just need to accept the consequences. It will mean a slower weight loss and will put my average BS up ready for my next blood test with the GP which I need to book some time in early July. Knowing myself these binges will probably continue to happen, but will hopefully get less and less.

If there are any positives I can pull in maybe it's that I'm managing to stick to recording everything I'm eating on MFP, and have done a continuous 46 days now. The red line on the scales is moving down - slowly. My BS is mostly below 8, and often below 7, which is what the DN said I should aim for. I can walk the dog for longer and at a faster pace. I'm not going off track every day.

However, I still haven't phoned the gym.

Edit - Just tested BS 10.3 - 1 hour after breakfast. I'll check again later to see how it goes, but I expect it will not get below 8 today after yesterday's binge. Maybe an extra long dog walk can offset some of the damage?

Last edited by a moderator:

cold ethyl

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Ok well done on confessing. Can I ask why you went and bought two cakes ? And put sugar in the yogurt? What was it about yesterday or yourself that made you do those things ? It's that that you need to address in order to move forward. If you think of food as a reward or treat, or comfort, the you need to look at ways of adapting those connections to the new eating plan . Are there other good good treats that you could have instead of sugary yogurt( which sounds vile) and cake? I like steak, so I have that as a treat or a piece of nice cheese. Or maybe look at some of the cheesecake recipes that are on the what have you eaten thread and make a couple and freeze in portions. Or try a low carb scone with clotted cream and fresh strawberries... There are ways of dealing with a sweet tooth and still low carbing.
I think having a blow out happens to us all, but you need to find ways to reduce its impact and/or bulid it into your everyday eating plan so that you don't feel deprived and at risk of going rogue.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Week 7 Thurs 26/6/14

I'm hanging my head in shame - :oops::oops::oops::oops:
I fell off the wagon big time! I considered not posting. I considered lying. Then I thought - it's just me I cheat, so I'm 'fessing up to myself (and anyone not bored to death by my thread and still reading).

So here goes:
  • carbs - 161
  • cals - 2946
  • BG - 5.6 before lunch - didn't test again.
So, what happened was - I went and bought 2 cakes and ate both after my dinner. Then not content with that I snacked on loads of nuts and then had lots of natural yogurt into which I put sugar. I went from stupid to self-destruct mode in the blink of an eye.

Oh well, it's done now and I just need to accept the consequences. It will mean a slower weight loss and will put my average BS up ready for my next blood test with the GP which I need to book some time in early July. Knowing myself these binges will probably continue to happen, but will hopefully get less and less.

If there are any positives I can pull in maybe it's that I'm managing to stick to recording everything I'm eating on MFP, and have done a continuous 46 days now. The red line on the scales is moving down - slowly. My BS is mostly below 8, and often below 7, which is what the DN said I should aim for. I can walk the dog for longer and at a faster pace. I'm not going off track every day.

However, I still haven't phoned the gym.

Edit - Just tested BS 10.3 - 1 hour after breakfast. I'll check again later to see how it goes, but I expect it will not get below 8 today after yesterday's binge. Maybe an extra long dog walk can offset some of the damage?

Blimey Rosie. You went for it.

Looking at what you ate, and how you approached it; how did it compare to what you might have done pre-diagnosis? Was it a reversion or a new way of binging?

RosieLKH

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
No, it was the same old way of compulsive buying, which sends me into a devil may care attitude. No idea why. It wasn't a reward. I didn't feel sad, or depressed. Maybe a feeling of defiant. A "why shouldn't I be able to have these things?" approach.

Oh, and the two cakes - well, if I buy one it would definitely look like I was buying it for just me - a big, fat piggy - to eat, wouldn't it? Whereas two, then eaten by same BFP, at least looks like I am sharing them with someone! I know - it doesn't sound very sane does it?

At least I'm not doing it every week. I tried to be mindful. All I can think of is that I was hungry and perhaps BS had got low, so I got belligerent - with myself though - so maybe the answer is to keep a snack in the car. The last time I felt like it I did actually buy crispy bacon instead of cake, but it was seeing cakes being sold cheaply that got to me this time (always a girl for a bargain!).

No idea why I had to have the yoghurt later - twice - or why I had to put sugar in, as I also love plain yoghurt. Over the past few weeks if I feel like a treat I do have a small slice of cheese, or a few nuts/seeds, and I've been fine on that. I guess it was once the damage had been done with the cakes it then didn't matter - which of course is so untrue, as it really just compounds it all.

Anyway, onwards - next time I am tutoring in the evening I'll take a snack and make sure I eat it before I approach shopping in the supermarket.
Have done a big dog walk today, mowed the lawn, weeded and hammered holes into tin cans to make lanterns for a craft stall. Hopefully there will be a huge gap before I 'fess up to this sort of thing again - not that I'm planning to keep it secret, but trying to explain it in any rational way does make me see how pointless my actions were and I'll try and hold onto this feeling for a long time.

Reactions: 4 people

cold ethyl

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
It is hard to pass the bargains up but maybe you could think if I don't buy these rubbishy cakes I could use the money towards x. I also think planning your food to cope with these sort of times is a great idea. I try and eat my lunch before I go shopping then I'm far less tempted by the siren call of the bread aisle. I find a packet of wafer thin meat or some smoked turkey staves off the nibbles quite well. Now I've just got to practice what I preach as off to friends for weekend. I did explain my diet and diagnosis and was told that there would be plenty for me to eat as she was doing quiche and a cake!!!!!! I'm not sure what bit of I am not eating carbs as I am a diabetic she didn't understand. I'm going to stop off at Booths in Ilkley and buy some smelly blue cheese and eat that with some celery if worse comes to worst.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@RosieLKH - I sort of "see" the "darn it, I've blown the days, so might as well blow it good and proper" sort of non-thought process. Looking back, it's not so much fun, eh? Oh well. Onwards and downwards.

I do agree with you about making sure you aren't low when shopping. I have had the odd day when shopping when I've honestly lost the will to shop sensibly due to hunger. As my OH was with me, I didn't give in, but alone, it might have been different.

I hope the cakes were at least worth it, and unreservedly scrumptious.

Reactions: 4 people

RosieLKH

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Week 7 Fri 27/6/14
  • carbs - 46
  • cals - 1351
  • BG - 7.0 2 hrs after evening meal

RosieLKH

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I've just opened the prescription bag I picked up from the chemist yesterday and noticed another tub of 50 BG test strips. This must mean my DN has put them on as a repeat prescription and I've just ticked all the boxes when filling in my online order. I had assumed she was giving me a box of 50 as a one off and I'd be back on 10 strips a month on my prescription. Either this is a mistake and someone will eventually notice or my DN is an enlightened practitioner and I give her my thanks!

RosieLKH

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Week 7 Sat 28/6/14
  • carbs - 21
  • cals - 1254
  • BG - 5.7
Not too bad for me for a weekend, and includes half an Adana kebab on our way home from the theatre at 11pm. The good thing about being with my husband - he will not eat ****** junk food, so the kebab was from a pucker Turkish restaurant, was cooked fresh for us and was fantastic. I had deliberately had a late brekkie, missed lunch and had an early dinner, so having the kebab didn't throw things out.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Rosie,

Just caught up on your thread, and saw your carb blip on Thursday.
- which is inevitable, by the way ;)

If there is one certainty with low carbing, it is that sooner or later, you will fall off the One True Way into a swimming pool full of cream cakes! The thing you (anyone) needs to focus on is getting back on the wagon.
And you seemed to have done that magnificently. :happy:

Did you have any carb cravings the next day?
Mind you, your splurge was only about 160 g carbs, wasn't it? That is far less than the average Brit eats daily, so even your bad day was better than most peoples' normal day.

You are doing amazingly.
You do know that, don't you?:smug:

Reactions: 7 people

RosieLKH

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Rosie,

Just caught up on your thread, and saw your carb blip on Thursday.
- which is inevitable, by the way ;)

If there is one certainty with low carbing, it is that sooner or later, you will fall off the One True Way into a swimming pool full of cream cakes! The thing you (anyone) needs to focus on is getting back on the wagon.
And you seemed to have done that magnificently. :happy:

Did you have any carb cravings the next day?
Mind you, your splurge was only about 160 g carbs, wasn't it? That is far less than the average Brit eats daily, so even your bad day was better than most peoples' normal day.

You are doing amazingly.
You do know that, don't you?:smug:
What a lovely post. It's actually brought a tear to my eye.

Yes, I did have cravings the next day. I really wanted strong, sweat coffee, but I resisted. It was OK as Friday is when my husband comes home for the weekend, so that was something to look forward to.

I guess looking at it as still less carbs than I used to have puts it in a better light. I would have had the same sort of binge, but after a muesli brekkie, sandwiches at lunch, jacket potato for dinner etc.

I'm not doing guilt about it. I make the choices and the consequences are also mine - slower weight loss, higher BS. I'm wondering about planning in treats at stages. I would like to go for a Chinese meal when I lose a stone and I'm half-way there now.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes, I did have cravings the next day. I really wanted strong, sweat coffee, but I resisted.

Yes, I would have resisted too!
Is sweat coffee really worth craving?
:wideyed: ;)

And don't worry about the speed the weight comes off.
The quicker I lost it, the quicker I would rebound afterwards.

Nowadays, I think my personal weight loss goal would be about a stone a year. But I don't expect anyone else to think the same - you've been here long enough to know how weird I am. :smug:

RosieLKH

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yes, I would have resisted too!
Is sweat coffee really worth craving?
:wideyed: ;)

And don't worry about the speed the weight comes off.
The quicker I lost it, the quicker I would rebound afterwards.

Nowadays, I think my personal weight loss goal would be about a stone a year. But I don't expect anyone else to think the same - you've been here long enough to know how weird I am. :smug:
Sweet coffee!! LOL - I'm wearing a very old pair of glasses and can barely see out of the left lens - well, that's my excuse!

I am fine with slow weight loss. I had expected tons of weight to just drop off when I started LCHF, but that's unlikely on the meds for diabetes and for blood pressure. Anyway, I spent years losing the same half stone. A few years ago I took part as a guinea-pig in an online mindful eating course. After that I decided to stop dieting and stopped obsessing about food. I managed to maintain my (very heavy) weight for a year, then gradually started to lose it, without actively dieting, but more concentrating on having quality food, enjoying every mouthful instead of stuffing it down and having what I wanted but in moderation. It's helped me get my head in a better place about food, but obviously I still have times when I want particular things.

What i have to do is acknowledge my cravings, talk myself through what the consequences of eating a particular thing will be, and make a sensible decision. I need to avoid being hungry, as that seems to be when all reason goes out of the window. I do actually prefer savoury to sweet. I'd always choose a starter over dessert. So I need to have cheese, nuts or crispy bacon ready for hungry times when I'm in the car, as it was always on my homeward journey from work that I would nip to a shop and stack up on unhealthy stuff, so it's a kind of well-formed mental pathway as a reaction to hunger.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Have you tried M&S crispy bacon? Heavenly.

I love the idea of mindful eating.
I almost always eat while doing other stuff (reading, Ipadding, watching TV). It's not a good thing, but somehow it's an incredibly hard habit to break. Almost as though just eating food without entertainment is somehow boring.

I did try to instigate an eating at the table once, but then we got rid of the dining table. :facepalm: Which sort of ended that one... :)