Im scared

PregnantKate

Due to Gestational Diabetes, my baby is being induced a week early on 12th December.

After the birth I will be tested for Diabetes again.

Im petrified they will say that Im actually type 2 and I'll have to live with this for the rest of my life. I dont know how some of you do it, Ive only had to deal with it for about 10 weeks and I HATE it so much.

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
. You can't change the future.Think of your baby and get organised to care for him/her. Many mothers come out of gestational diabetes, with it gone after the delivery. Sometimes it comes back as T1 after a few years. However you would have to cope with that IF and WHEN it happens. Just enjoy your new baby and try to store up some sleep. You will need it soon enough :D

Thirsty

Kate, don't be too scared. Even if you do turn out to have Type 2, it isn't a disaster unless you allow it to be. It's surprising how quickly you can adapt to a change in diet and lifestyle.

Best of luck with your pregnancy, and here's hoping you'll get back to normal after the birth.

ChezMorgan

Dislikes
Peppers , Spiders, War and people who think they are better than me, we are all equal !
I have had two healthy children , now in thier late teens, and i have been diabetic 28years, its not nice or easy, but it really wont do you any good worrying about things you cant change ...... and that baby will want and need you whether your diabetic or not ;) xxxx

totsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
liars, animal cruelty
Try not to worry or it will make u ill, as said b4 theres nothing you can do about it so get ready to welcome your new arrival and good luck xxxxxxxxxx

caroluk

Hiya Kate,

I had GD with my 3rd pregnancy and i also suspect with my 2nd pregnancy and he is 15yrs old now so i went 15yrs before being diagnosed type 2.

6 weeks after having Alex in Dec 06 i was tested and all was okay and a test in Sept of this year saw me just slip into type 2.

I would suggest keeping the changes to your diet that you have done as has been said for most ladies GD is only a pregnancy thing but it can mea you are higher risk for a future diagnosis of type2.

Enjoy your precious Christmas baby :)

Carol xxx

lionrampant

Look at it this way - if you do turn out to be type 2 your kid is going to grow up with his mother eating the best diet possible (and thus setting a great example). If not, you have the experience of gestational diabetes to remind you why it's vital the kid eat healthily all his/her life.

doctorqwerty

Good luck kate, heres hoping all went well.
Diabetes isnt the end of a life, but the start of a different, healthy living path.
Have a lovely christmas, enjoy lots off baby snuggling time together.

Bubsy Malone

Dislikes
Patronising people, fish and cold callers
Good luck from me too, my friend's third baby is due on 5 January and her sister's fifth :!: baby is due on 28 December. Gonna be a noisy christmas!

willogs

I had type 1 Gestational and am now Type 1, There are some days when I wonder what I did to deserve this and would I have become type 1 without the baby, but do you know what, I have decided that I can worry about it or I can get on with it and deal with whatever is thrown at me. My little boys is worth everything. I had my baby 4 weeks early because of the GD and he was still 8lb12oz, he is now a little cracker and is no worse off from making his early appearence, I can't help that he could not wait to meet his mummy and daddy. I hope it has all gone well for you and you make a healthy recovery and enjoy your first christmas together.