Impaired Fasting Glucose Question (and general frustrated rant)

hose1975

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
My last official NHS fasting glucose blood test came back at 6.2, so I guess I'm now officially in the prediabetic camp (except that my home-tested, 2-hour post-meal numbers are still golden, usually under 6.0). But it got me wondering: is it possible to have severe impaired fasting glucose that gets so bad (i.e. over 7.0) that one would qualify as diabetic by the medical community's standards but still have 'normal' post-meal numbers? If so, how would that be treated if at all?

In relation to my own numbers, I'm not sure what I can do do change them. I'm already a normal weight (although my thyroid's been playing up so I've actually gained about 7 lbs in the last year; BMI went from 20 to 23), I run three times a week and take at least a half hour walk on the others and my carb intake is usually somewhere around 150g / day, so not excessive by most standards. I keep my pasta and rice portions to 40g dry weight every time and don't tend to eat much bread (couple of slices a week). Potatoes are usually (although not always) new and no more than 100g-worth each time.

I really don't want to go ultra-low carb but reckon I could go down to between 100-120g per day. No lower than that otherwise yogurt has to go and that's a no-no!

Sigh. Either I'm carrying around a hell of a lot of visceral fat or something's going horribly wrong :(

Thanks for answers and advice.

Jo

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi,

There are many, many reasons why people's glucose tolerance goes wangy (that's a technical term ;)).
It really isn't always just about visceral fat and fatty livers.
Hormones, heredity, medication, other health issues... And many more.

Your thyroid issue is probably playing a part.

BUT extra weight (which is incredibly easy to gain with thyroid probs) often DOES play a part.

So, after that preamble, I'm going to suggest that you follow the blood glucose 101 link in my signature.
It's got a lot of fascinating info, including stuff on how the way that people slide or crash land into diabetes can vary tremendously. It's fascinating reading.

What does your doc say about your thyroid? Is it possible you need a slightly bigger dose?