Importance of regular exercise study

HpprKM

Dislikes
Self absorbed and rude people! Motorists who are oblivious to the rest of the world, and really don't give a ****!
It is my understanding that one of the major contributors to T2 could be visceral fat around the abdomen, although I have never been overweight, at 5'5" = medium bone structure I weigh 8st 14lbs, however, for the longest time it seems to me that any fat I seem to carry is in my abdominal region - I used to think it was due having three children, however, I now know this can be a definite sign of potential diabetes. I wish I had known some years ago, could have made some adjustments back then! However, I am wondering, if this fat is causing the pancreas to malfunction, would losing the fat help, or even virtually cure the diabetes, or is the damage irreparable (as I suspect). This may seem like a rather random question, but I thought it worth mentioning as we are talking about exercise and, I thought if the exercise could be channelled appropriately to the right areas, it surely has to benefit, if not cure at least some T2s.

phraedus

I am 5' 11" male upon dx I weighed 246lbs ~17st 8lb; waist size 45"

In 7 months I dropped to 176lbs ~12st 8lb; waist size 33"

I am still diabetic; as you can see from my mince meat and Christmas cake experiment.
But my numbers are good ie: lipids ;blood pressure; HbA1c 5.1% very little visceral fat;

Your weight and body height with a BMI of 20.8 suggests you have very little visceral fat
My BMI is 24.8 I am no longer concerned with visceral body fat being a complicating factor.
Eat to your meter try to not let your BG go over 7.8mmol/l ~140mg/dl you shouldn't have
any diabetic complications.

I see from your profile you are controlling with diet alone; good for you I am on 500mg metformin once per day.

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Hppr I was dx with DB and was very under weight and had no stomach fat even though I had 4 children There seems to be no rhyme or reason to DB :(
carol

HpprKM

Dislikes
Self absorbed and rude people! Motorists who are oblivious to the rest of the world, and really don't give a ****!
Phraedus,

I see from your profile you are controlling with diet alone; good for you I am on 500mg metformin once per day.

Thanks for your useful reply, I am not actually diet only any longer, GP put me on Metformin twice daily, not because my glucose levels were high, but they were slowly but surely rising over the last few months.

Also, note you are in Canada, my second country (dual nationality), have two sons and their families in Canada (plus other relatives), so 'hi' and thanks for reply :D

HpprKM

Dislikes
carty said:
Hi Hppr I was dx with DB and was very under weight and had no stomach fat even though I had 4 children There seems to be no rhyme or reason to DB :(
carol
Bit of a raw deal isn't it!!! Never mind, at least we are aware and can take action :D

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
HpprKM said:
It is my understanding that one of the major contributors to T2 could be visceral fat around the abdomen, although I have never been overweight, at 5'5" = medium bone structure I weigh 8st 14lbs, however, for the longest time it seems to me that any fat I seem to carry is in my abdominal region - I used to think it was due having three children, however, I now know this can be a definite sign of potential diabetes. I wish I had known some years ago, could have made some adjustments back then! However, I am wondering, if this fat is causing the pancreas to malfunction, would losing the fat help, or even virtually cure the diabetes, or is the damage irreparable (as I suspect). This may seem like a rather random question, but I thought it worth mentioning as we are talking about exercise and, I thought if the exercise could be channelled appropriately to the right areas, it surely has to benefit, if not cure at least some T2s.

this from a Colberg article
http://www.diabetesselfmanagement.com/a ... itivity/2/
For older women with Type 2 diabetes, studies have shown that the combination of aerobic and resistance training may afford even greater improvements in insulin sensitivity and a more significant decrease in abdominal fat than aerobic training alone, with increased muscle mass to boot
She also includes a plan combining the 2 types of exercise.
Its very much the type of mix I do normally. (I'm running a bit more at the moment as I'm running rather a long race in April). For the resistance I use pilates videos and a very occasional class... the nearest class is over an hour away!.
I know if I miss exercise for a few days I either have to use more insulin or eat less. keep the same glucose levels http://www.diabetesselfmanagement.com/a ... in_action/