Improving Gfr For Kidney Disease Stage 4

CharTrev

Type of diabetes
Type 1
hi,

My husband has chronic kidney disease stage 4 due to type 1 diabetes insulin dependant.
I have read online and found that it can be possible to raise your gfr kidney function by eating a certain diet and have been given advice from others on different meds etc but wanted to see if anyone else has managed to increase their kidney function and how. He is currently at 22% and is 34 years old.

Thank you.

GrantGam

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello:)

Sorry to hear about your husband's CKD, it's a tough one!

I'm not entirely sure whether it can be improved as this suggest reversal? What information did you find online for this as it's probable that I'm wrong?

It can certainly be stemmed or slowed though:

-Tighter A1c.
-Diet: reduced salt, reduced protein and higher water intake. Lower GI foods, less carbs or pre-bolusing to counter post meal spikes.
-Increased exercise.

There are apparent wonder foods such as blueberries which are known to contain antioxidants and the like. How much they can help failing kidneys, if at all, I'm not sure.

Good luck with it all, there are many on here with impaired kidney function who will help with first hand advice and information:)

Regards,
Grant

Wurst

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Narcissistic forum members
I had slightly reduced kidney function at my last blood test and wanted to see if I can improve it. Besides the obvious like keeping blood sugar under control , lower protein diet etc etc I started drinking nettle tea on a daily basis.

Nettle tea supposedly has kidney cleansing properties which may lead to improved functionality , according to a number of sources. I have my next blood test tomorrow , with results a week tomorrow so I'll see if 6 months of nettle tea has had any impact.

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Some of us have found our kidney functions improved using a low carb high fat diet.

Here's an old thread which may be of use to you.

http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/chronic-kidney-disease-my-good-news.60343/#post-575901

Of course LCHF may not be suitable for everyone, but it may be worth a try? As a T1 your husband will need to check his insulin requirements carefully as if he cuts his carb intake he may well need less insulin to stop him getting dangerous hypos. If in doubt check with his GP, but at 34 years of age it has to be worth a try if there are no contraindications as to why he should not follow LCHF.

Oh and welcome to the forum :)

Edit: It's important not to increase protein levels as that can damage the kidneys further, that's why we increase fat so that we have enough calories to satisfy our individual appetites and we don't go hungry. You can't stick to a diet if you're hungry all the time.