In a plaster cast Type1

Longtimer30

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi
I have been in a plaster cast for nearly 6 weeks.
I was going to the gym as getting married October this year so was trying to loose weight and become fitter.
I have fallen at work and have 2 fractures in my ankle bone and feel really down as missing going to gym and can see weight creeping back on :-(
Hoping once it is off maybe I could go swimming but I am worried as this is my foot and been diabetic nearly 30 year and wounds take my body a long time to heel.
Any tips what I could do at minute or after cast off?
Thanks

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Hi, sorry to hear of your broken ankle. I found this rehabilitation video which could help, but always take it easy to start with and swimming sounds good exercise as well. Try and do what ever is comfortable for you. Has it healed well with no problems ?
Congratulations on your forth coming wedding, exciting times ahead :)

Take care, RRB

Reactions: 2 people

Longtimer30

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thank you
I had x ray when I first fell and they said 1 fracture x ray 3 weeks later still in agony so had a ct scan and showed a second fracture and query a third :-(
had cast changed today and foot is bruised and my ankle seems very swollen and puffy compared to 2 weeks ago Im back to see consultant week tomorrow for another x ray
Yes cant wait for wedding :)

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
I broke my ankle 22 years ago and it healed reasonably quick, I'm sure come October you'll be back on your feet again without too many problems.

As your trying to lose weight just cut back on your portion sizes as obviously your not as active now and won't be burning as many calories, anyway hope all works out well and you both have a long and happy life together.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Thank you
I had x ray when I first fell and they said 1 fracture x ray 3 weeks later still in agony so had a ct scan and showed a second fracture and query a third :-(
had cast changed today and foot is bruised and my ankle seems very swollen and puffy compared to 2 weeks ago Im back to see consultant week tomorrow for another x ray
Yes cant wait for wedding :)

Good luck. I hope it heals healthily and quickly for you and you can have a wonderful October wedding, all the best, RRB :)

RuthW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
You can exercise your upper body using weights while seated or lying on the floor. You may also be able to do abdominals while lying down. Think of all those wheelchair athletes! Basically working on your upper body will burn a few calories. Not as many as your lower body because the muscle groups are smaller, but it will help towards your targets.

Last edited by a moderator:

Longtimer30

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thank you everyone for your replies and suggestion. Tried doing sit up but hurts too much.

copepod

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
What did latest X ray show?

If you have the OK for gym work, I'd ask gym trainer for advice - there must be lots of exercises using weight lifting machines that you can do without affecting your limb in plaster. Or ask to see a physio. In my personal experience, they love helping people who are highly motivated and have interesting conditions.

Reactions: 3 people