In for a long night

kanie.j

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have managed to give myself 18 units of humalog instead of Glargine, I know a stupid mistake!
Looks like I’m in for a rough night ahead but my wife is here to support me and kick me out of bed to sort the inevitable hypos.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I have managed to give myself 18 units of humalog instead of Glargine, I know a stupid mistake!
Looks like I’m in for a rough night ahead but my wife is here to support me and kick me out of bed to sort the inevitable hypos.
Do you know what your insulin to carbs ratio is?
You might want to try to prevent those hypos instead of sorting them.
Do you use a CGM with alarms? If so, setting the low alarm a bit higher can be useful to catch hypos before they are there.

How wonderful to have a supportive wife!
When I mixed up my basal and bolus, out of hours told me to stay awake and keep testing every 30 minutes (no CGM at the time), and not be alone.
Which meant I had to wake up my neighbour to inform him we were going to play boardgames or watch youtube videos for at least the next 5 hours! :hilarious: Turned out a pretty fun night, except for all the eating I had to do. :banghead:

Oh, and don't let the wife kick you out of bed to treat, keep hypo treatments (lots of them in this case!) right at your bedside, no need to go around the house while both sleepy and hypo!

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Good morning, how did it go? I hope the night wasn't too rough.