In hospital and starting insulin

OrdinaryWorld

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Am in hospital with asthma whilst here I had my first insulin this afternoon. What happens next does that mean I am now on insulin? Won’t se dr now until the morning

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Are you diagnosed diabetic? If so what’s your normal treatment and control? How did they decide type? When were you diagnosed and at what level? Do you know what your levels were when they put you on it? They really should explain all this to you so do ask the questions whilst there as it’s not so easy to get in front of human drs otherwise these days. And ask everything again and again until you understand. Insulin is serious and it’s important to respect that and know what it’s all about.

depending on these the answers to your question could be very different. Type 1 you’ll be on it for life. Type 2 you may well have options once levels are stabilised, most diet related that could lead to less or no medication ultimately.

Reactions: Lou73

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Am in hospital with asthma whilst here I had my first insulin this afternoon. What happens next does that mean I am now on insulin? Won’t se dr now until the morning
While you're on insulin now this doesn't necessarily mean you'll always need it.
If you're in hospital for your asthma I'm guessing you're on corticosteroids/steroids too at the moment, which can raise blood glucose to the point of needing insulin, so that might be what's going on now.

How were your blood glucose levels before needing hospital treatment?

Wish you all the best, hope you'll feel better soon!

Reactions: Struma and ert

OrdinaryWorld

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you. I had just had A1C of 109 and gone low carb in the last few weeks and was seeing change on numbers. Now I am back on long term steroids. Am type 2. I need to make sure I get to that consultant. Have just changed wards which doesn’t help but nurse is on it

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
On long term steroids it might well be insulin will help you a lot and will make you feel much better too!
With an hba1c of 109 you've been having very high numbers for a while, which doesn't help anything.
Again, all the best, and make sure to get all the information you need from your consultant!