In need for some advice

Amina9191

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,
I’m a type 1 diabetic, and have been for the past 17 years or so. My last blood/urine test showed that I had some protein in my urine which was above the recommended level. So to protect my kidneys, and avoid diabetic nephropathy, I was prescribed blood pressure pills (can’t remeber the name of it) which helps protect your kidneys. My blood pressure have been normal for the past few months. I’m 27 years, and my BMI is 19.5, and my last A1C was 5.9. Could anyone give me some advice please, really freaking out about this.

evilclive

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Prevention is better than cure, so it looks like they're trying to prevent problems before they start.

Decent HbA1c - is that nice and flat or swinging from high to low a lot? If the former, you're doing really well and I wouldn't worry. If the latter, worth trying to move it to the former, but I'd not worry about the other bit :)

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bigotry, reliance on unsupported 'facts', unkindness, unfairness.
Hi Amina9191, sorry you’ve been scared by the appearance of proteins. Did the doc also look at creatinine and eGFR, two related tests that assess kidney health? I believe protein in the urine can sometimes come about because someone’s suffering from a fever, or dehydrated. I know that when I have tests for my kidneys there can be a marked difference in the results if I’m dehydrated or well-hydrated.
Have you got a follow up test booked? It may well be too early to panic.
We can’t give you advice on what to do, but I can send you a hug.