In need of a friend

Steve14

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,

I'm not new around here, but unfortunately I can't find like-minded people in the local diabetic community due to disease differences (type 2-s) or age differences (children or elderly).

I'm a 30 yo Eastern-European man living with a loving and supportive parent. My old time friends have either moved for better job opportunities or couldn't bare seeing me seclude myself from social outings due to the constant fear of hypo-s, hence left. There are other diagnosises besides T1 and I'm basically house bound and rarely go outside anymore without sedatives.

My hobbies are: making music, playing sudoku and learning something new to name a few.

It would be so awesome to meet a person who's in the same boat and is close to my age.

Steve

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello Steve!
I’m not quite the same age as you, but close enough. I do understand the fear of hypos, I have type 1 and I have had a few bad hypos where I needed an ambulance. So I live with hypo anxiety and sometimes I don’t sleep. But things have been slowly getting better with the support of my diabetes team and the type 1 squad here.
My hobbies are: computer games, learning languages - Japanese and Korean and makeup artistry.
Could I ask have you been able to speak with your doctor or diabetes team to refer you to get some help?

Reactions: Steve14

Steve14

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello @Steve14

Well there are a few T1's round here some serious most just bonkers living life to the full, there are a couple of threads around where we hang out and occasionally talk diabetes plus lots of other things.

If your somewhere in the UK there is another diabetic branch (for want of a better word) called JDRF they might have something in your area where they meet up.

Other than that there is a Meet Up planned for October 12 in Manchester but the venue has not been sorted out yet. :)

Hi,

I live at the other end of Europe, but would love to have a pen pal who fits the description. I'll check JDRF, but this is a small town though and that's not helping... Thank you very much though.

Reactions: Knikki

Fndwheelie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Maybe if your not in the uk, give your country and maybe nearest city.

Steve14

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello Steve!
I’m not quite the same age as you, but close enough. I do understand the fear of hypos, I have type 1 and I have had a few bad hypos where I needed an ambulance. So I live with hypo anxiety and sometimes I don’t sleep. But things have been slowly getting better with the support of my diabetes team and the type 1 squad here.
My hobbies are: computer games, learning languages - Japanese and Korean and makeup artistry.
Could I ask have you been able to speak with your doctor or diabetes team to refer you to get some help?

Hi,

Sorry to hear about your struggles. I have the "hypo anxiety" and also like computer games. My diabetic doc is the sweetest person and offered a different type of insulin that I've yet to try. Is it okay to PM you?

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,

Sorry to hear about your struggles. I have the "hypo anxiety" and also like computer games. My diabetic doc is the sweetest person and offered a different type of insulin that I've yet to try. Is it okay to PM you?

Yeah sure, :)
I’ve been offered fiasp and tresiba along with the libre sensor and both have been a great help. I also have been offered therapy as well to balance both diabetes and mental health.

VashtiB

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Steve,

It sounds like you have a lot to deal with. What type of music do you make- I play the flute - not well but enough to enjoy. I'm not anywhere ear your age or a type 1 but there are many here.

Welcome.