In remission-at last !

Sam50

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Afternoon everyone,

Not popped onto the forum in months as life has been really busy but just wanted to let you know that my Hubby (the one of us with T2) now has an HbA1c of 42mmol and seems to have the condition well under control.:)

Diagnosed in June 2017 with an HbA1c of 98mmol (around 12 I think in the new system) he decided he wanted to get it under control by diet alone. Refused BG meds, refused statins, refused BP meds, lost weight and went on the LCHF diet. He lost around 2 stone, put some back on (it yo-yos a bit depending on his activity levels) Has upped his activity levels by walking more and investing in an exercise bike which he uses daily.
He is a stressy individual and the past 12 months have been difficult in many ways. we both saw how lack of sleep and worry raised his BG (A factor which the DN rubbished :banghead:) Last year he fell in the snow and tore his quadricep leg muscle-something which caused a lot of pain and this also impacted on his BG. Again not something that the DN thought relevant.

In spite of lapses on holiday and over Christmas he has always gotten back on track with the LCHF way of eating and is currently doing a 'dry' January with intermittent fasting.
Although I have supported him with the LCHF I'm not joining him in giving up my wine !!;):hilarious: that would be taking support a step too far !

Just wanted to put a big shout out of thanks to all the wonderful people here on the forum who gave us so much support, help and good advice during the early days of our journey. We couldn't have done it without you. You all continue to be so supportive of each other and towards new members.
So grateful to have found you all :happy:
xx

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Brilliant news and well done to both of you carrying on despite the hurdles that life has chucked at you.
Long may your successes continue!

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Congratulations! You and he did all the hard work, not the members of this forum, so well done indeed. :)

Make sure he keeps it up - he has a lovely HbA1c but not yet in remission. He needs a few more good ones to be able to say that with confidence. :)

PS I wouldn't be giving up my wine either - and didn't when my hubby did a dry February last year (He chose February because it is the shortest month Lol) Well ..... he still eats carbs, so I still drank wine!

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Good to hear from you @Sam50, it's great that your husband has lowered his HbA1c to 42. Well done to him, and to you for supporting him.

Reactions: Grant_Vicat